Rebulding motor and adding a few things.. check it out. Need suggestions/help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sarge

Reaction score
Long story short my 99 4x4 2 door spun a bearing today. It doesn't knock at idle just when i rev it up a tad. Its not very bad, and caught it quick so hopefully there is not much damage, but we wont know till we tear it down.

Basically me and a buddy are going to rebuild it. Plan is to get a sealed power master rebuild kit, and a head rebuild kit, new lifters and reuse anything we can like the crank, pistons etc ''depending on what needs to be replaced vs what can be kept''. While im in there i wanna add a cam, but where i dont have to do head work etc. I havent done much research but what i came up with is this. And to keep in mind i want to use my current tune, stock converter. The tahoe has full cold air, shorty headers, ported tb, catback, and hypertech max energy tune ''it was free, dont hate'' and the new style injectors. It has leveled with 285/70/17 with stock 3.73s and i just want better overall power without killing gas mileage..i dont care if it has a lope or not. Its a DD and i rarely tow, but i want to be able to tow my camaro to the track when i need and not have to worry about it being a pig like it was when it was bone stock.

So what i found so far.

The ramjet ''rv'' cam http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-14097395/applications/make/chevrolet?prefilter=1

Head kit, just to freshen it up..work with cam? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/drt-28112000/overview/year/1999/make/chevrolet/model/tahoe

Motor rebuild kit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fem-mk6504-000/overview/year/1999/make/chevrolet/model/tahoe

And i plan to hone the motor, and can i port the heads without having to change the tune?

Basically i have all the gaskets where i JUST did the intake gasket/ injectors and a full ac delco tune 2 weeks ago..bad luck there.. but if anyone knows of a better rebuild kit with all the components minis the gaskets that would be great.

If i had $1500 i would just get a rebuild 4 bolt main from a advance or oreillys but i just dont have that much cash right now.

Any suggestion and links would be appreciated. Again i wont know what ill need till we tear it down, just trying to get an idea.

Thanks!

Last edited:

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
How many miles are on the motor? What you are talking about doing is a re-ring and fixing the crank. I'd really think about a full rebuild if it's a high mileage motor.

Sarge

Reaction score
Under 100k. It was a strong motor before the issue.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
If you don't have a noticable ridge at the top of the cylinders, you may be okay. It would be best to measure them for wear. If they check out, a re-ring isn't a bad way to go.

Z71Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I literally just watched an episode of horsepower tv "Summit Racing 383 Stroker" they claim that you can build new cheaper than rebuilding your old one because new does away with machine shop time. I don't know crap about any of it and of course they are going for like 500hp but it might be worth looking into.

Sarge

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Well pulled the cam, intake, rocker arms off so far. I can see the cam bearing are worn the crap out.. So ill tear it down and see what else is wrong. I should be able to reuse the pistons.

So i need a suggestion on a rebuild kit, and what about the ''ram jet'' rv cam? Or any suggestion a better cam to use with stock tune. Thanks..

And yea we got the motor out fast, drove it in, and in 2 hours had it on the stand, oil still warm. And them got everything off the motor in like 15 mins.. to bad putting it back together wont be as easy/fast.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
check cylinders for out of round, check the crank thoroughly with a cam youll have to tune it anyways, your porting in relevance to the tune would more or less be the final touches when you drive it and datalog it.

RV cams usually work nicely and give you more down low grunt for exactly what you said towing. i wouldnt skip the idea of a machine shop entirely if you build it on the cheap cheap and skimp out then youll be doing another rebuild in the next 100k again, so do it right and spend a little more than you desired.
id also get your heads checked for any cracks or what not.

as for gaskets and such i always use felpro. the summit kits do just fine. i used their rebuild kits on my stroker motor and my 400. the 400 was expensive the 383 with replacing every component i spent almost 2k with a full rebuild well minus rods.

dont rush it, take your time ask questions when needed. they are a few redneck garage tips to pass a few machine shop things like your block cleaning and your decking etc. chase all your threads with a tap also to make sure all your threads are clean.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Run the ht383e cam. It's advertised as being compatible with the computer, no tuning needed....

Sarge

Reaction score
May look into the 383 cam. I just dont wanna have to tune it.