Rebuilding l460e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeck11

Reaction score
I've got a 98 with with 209 on her and still running strong. The only problem is the tranny is going out in it. While I was away at college my dad was driving it and noticed that the engine wound dance up and down about 100 rpm's when when cruising from about 45 - 65 mph. Its been doing it for about 5 months and its time for it to get rebuilt while I'm home over spring break. I've got a few ideas of what the problem might be but I'm just not sure what it is and what all needs to be replaced. I'm not good with the electrical components on vehicles so I'm wondering if it could be something just electrical? If I could get your guy's input that would be great. Thanks

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It could be a problem in the valve body, the TCC valve wears out. Do a google search on TCC valve and 4L60E and you'll get tons of information on it. It's a cheap fix as well, not even a $20 parts, and you don't have to take the transmission out to install it, just pull the valve body.

You could try a cheap fix and see if it works, Lucas Transmission Fix. Costs you about $12-$13 dollars. I put this in my transmission and helped quite a bit with the symptoms it had.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=29&catid=9&loc=show&headTitle= - Lucas Transmission Fix

Good luck.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It could be a problem in the valve body, the TCC valve wears out. Do a google search on TCC valve and 4L60E and you'll get tons of information on it. It's a cheap fix as well, not even a $20 parts, and you don't have to take the transmission out to install it, just pull the valve body.

You could try a cheap fix and see if it works, Lucas Transmission Fix. Costs you about $12-$13 dollars. I put this in my transmission and helped quite a bit with the symptoms it had.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=29&catid=9&loc=show&headTitle= - Lucas Transmission Fix

Good luck.

I would do the same and also a corvette servo will get rid of alot of the slop between shifts

jeck11

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Is there anything else I should do to it while I'm at it?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hook up a line pressure gauge to the transmission and see what it's doing. This will give you some further indication of what is going on with it. With a little bit of searching I found this on line pressures:

You must be registered for see images attach

If you are going to drop the valve body you can install torlon check balls instead of the steel ones too. Steel balls are known to wear the separator plate and the torlon balls will seal better, but since they are plastic they will wear too, so down the line - I'm not sure how far down the line - you'd have to replace them again, but they will not damage the plate.

Mind you this is not out of personal experiance, but reaserch in preparation to rebuild my transmission down the road.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would highly recommend the vette servo as well - best money I have ever spent on my 4L60E. I do have a boost valve to put in as well, but did not get to it.

jeck11

Reaction score
Is the boost valve in the valve body along with the tcc valve? What does a boost valve do? And should I replace it while I'm at it?

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The boost valve is up in the pump, believe it is on the passenger side (if i remember correctly). I have been told it should be changed every 40,000miles or so. You need a good pair of snap ring pliers to get to it, which is why I did not replace mine. My snap ring pliers at the time sucked and couldn't compress the snap ring.

jeck11

Reaction score
Okay thanks, I might try that boost valve if I have time but did you use the vette servo or one of the built ones that run about $75? As for the line pressure test, can I just take it to a local shop and have them do it? And if so how much will it run me? I hate paying someone an arm and a leg to do something that I'm completely capable of doing myself but just don't have the tools for it!