rear seal/bushing info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tigwldr

Reaction score
Has anyone installed a new bushing in the tailshaft of a 4L60E? The end where the driveshaft slides in.
After installing my flip, the driveshaft had gone further into the tranny, unfortunately I was not paying attention to the end of the yoke that goes into the tranny and it had a little corrosion/rust on it. I had taken it off and cleaned it up and replaced the old seal with a new one. Well, it seems as though the seal is wearing out again because its leaking a little more than before. Fluid is all over the undercarriage as well as the tailgate and rear window.
Is there a tool to remove the bushing? If so, does anyone have a part number or link?
Someone had mentioned that there may be an entire assembly ready to install. Unbolt and remove and bolt back up and go, thats what I'm talkin about.
Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year model and what kinda truck? They make a tool, it's kinda pricey for a do-it-yourselfer. It screws into the bushing then pulls it out. You can take the tail housing out, then take it to any local transmission shop i'm sure they would knock it in for free if you take them the bushing and seal. Go ahead and buy a tail housing oring also. You can also just buy a new housing with a new bushing in it for about 20 bucks.

Tigwldr

Reaction score
Sorry, its for my 99 Tahoe.
I would prefer to buy the new housing. Would that come with a bushing and seal? I think I would like to buy the peice that slips into the tranny to, yoke? Mine has some rust and corrosion on it, the culprit to this unfortunate incident, hah.
Do you have a part number by chance?
Thanks

Tigwldr

Reaction score
Yes, geez, I'm slow today.
I forgot I dont have a sig here.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tail-housing is prolly 20-30 bucks. Just about any transmission shop would have one laying around. I'm looking at 4 lol. Just stop by and ask any smaller shop. They usually help folks out rather then the bigger shops.

Tigwldr

Reaction score
I ended up give FLT a call. They are sending me a new tail housing. I'm going to be doing it myself, since we have moved, I'm not too familiar with any shops around.
Now all I need is the yoke from the driveshaft that goes into the tranny.

Thanks for the help rhino

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
I was somewhat surprised when you said you got trans fluid all over your rear window and back hatch.. not anymore. The ford exploder I was using as a DD just completely opened up between the trans/engine and also the rear tail housing.. i've never seen so much friggin oil from one end of a vehicle to the other! Hand damn near slipped off the hatch as I tried to close it. Yikes :p. Glad I don't have to worry about fixing this pos.