Rear main seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fred5280

Reaction score
Im going to do my rear main here soon. Im watching videos on youtube of people doing their rear main. Everyone replaces the gasket that goes beind the rear main thats bolted on but i cant for the life of me find a video showing what the gasket is in the middle of the 3 in this photo if any of you know what that gasket is for it would really help me out. Thank you guys
You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure what that's for, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. The set is likely intended for multiple applications. God knows what the middle gasket goes to.

Fred5280

Reaction score
True. I just didnt want go through with it and have that gasket sitting out when it was supposed to be in there somewhere. Thanks for the answer man

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
True. I just didnt want go through with it and have that gasket sitting out when it was supposed to be in there somewhere. Thanks for the answer man

Nope, it's gonna be one or the other. And you already know which one.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
Be sure to install the new seal WITHOUT any oil. The teflon seals need to be dry so they transfer a tiny bit of the seal material to the crankshaft so they will actually seal.

Ken

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Be sure to install the new seal WITHOUT any oil. The teflon seals need to be dry so they transfer a tiny bit of the seal material to the crankshaft so they will actually seal.

Ken

That's only IF that seal is teflon.

kenh

Reaction score
That's only IF that seal is teflon.

YES that is true and I should have mentioned that. Rubber seals get oiled. Funny thing when I replaced mine the teflon seal was the least expensive of the choices. That surprised me!

Ken

Fred5280

Reaction score

Ken
Thanks for that tip thats what confused me about the videos i found on youtube
here he says the part number that was used but in this other pic he says he didnt use oil and that felpro says not to use it but when i look up that product it says that its made out of rubber
im thinking when i buy the seal ill have to contact felpro because they might be teflon but oreillys description says rubber

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
When you buy the Felpro seal kit, it will be written all over the box and on the inside sheets if it is teflon or rubber, and to install dry or not. You will find on Felpro "find my part", that you can get seal kits with rubber seals or teflon seals.

Also, the seal retainer gasket on my 5.7l when i replaced mine was baked on pretty good. I had to scrape long time to get it all off and cleaned surface.

kenh

Reaction score
Also, the seal retainer gasket on my 5.7l when i replaced mine was baked on pretty good. I had to scrape long time to get it all off and cleaned surface.

Mine was also! I scraped and scraped on mine and it was baked to a crisp. I wound up using my die grinder with a 3M sanding disc to get it off. YES, I was very careful!!!!! Doesn't leak so must have done something right.

Ken