Rear Glass Alignment Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
EDIT: Sorry I posted this already in another category, but I can’t figure out how to delete.

Hope I’m in the right category. 95 Two Doe Hoe with the tailgate/lift glass is having alignment issues causing seal problems. Drivers side looks perfect but the passenger side has about a quarter inch gap. I tried loosening and then retightening all the hinge nuts, but to no avail. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Last edited:

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the Tahoe back on the road (other issues) but I still have this rear glass issue. Water is getting in on the passenger side. I could replace the gasket, but I still think it will leak due to the gap I’m seeing. Anyone know the process for alignment? There’s no apparent past body or frame damage.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d agree that replacing the perimeter gasket would probably not help. There was a TSB out that revised the gasket some ten or twenty years ago. The revised gasket has a backer rod in the area where the tailgate and lift glass meet. The intent was to keep the gasket from being crushed. Likely, you already have it - see if you can feel it.

The only way I got mine to seal was to put some cardboard under the corner of tailgate gasket that runs along the top. That lifted the gasket up about 1/4” to seal with the bottom of the liftgate. I covered the now-exposed bottom edge of the gasket with RTV, a real hack job but at least it works.

I’ve had mine off of the hinges dozens of times trying to get it to seat correctly. Never worked for me. The factory manuals for 92-98 do not mention anything on aligning it which is kind of strange given the apparent adjustment available in the hinge bolt locations.