rear end swap ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigdave84_88

Reaction score
Hello everyone new here. i have a couple different trucks but what im needing to know is i have a 1988 c1500 2wd that the rear end blew up in when i pulled it apart it came out in pieces. i have a 1993 gmc z71 that im about to part out will the rear end fit the 1988 and the main question is can i switch the axle shafts from the 88 to the 93 one is 5 lug the other is 6 lug. i cant seem to find anything out on the internet so i thought i would try here next any help would be appreciated.

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the difference... but welcome to the forum someone will have a answer for you I'm sure

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should work, they both should be 10 bolt rear ends. Are you thinking of changing the entire housing? They should both be 30 spline pinions, I'm not entirely sure about axle bearing and spline size. Is the gear ratio the same? Do you have the RPO codes for both trucks? They should be in the glove box. Look for the code starting with Gxx

http://www.differentials.com/gm-axle-ratio-identification-codes/

bigdave84_88

Reaction score
i know they both are 10 bolts. but i believe the z71 is a posi and the 88 is not. yes i was just going to try changing the whole housing then change the shafts. ill look for the codes and see what they say. thanks

Rich-stepside

Reaction score
Well from what I have read while researching this myself is that the c1500 2wd differential is
2-3" narrower then the k1500 4 wd differentials. So if the housing is narrower is assume the axle
Shafts would be shorter. Also I've read that 88 had 28 spline axles and 90 and up were 30 spline
Again this is just things I have read i have not confirmed this myself

bigdave84_88

Reaction score
thanks i didn't find anything on it when i looked it up. ill have to just replace with one from a 2wd i guess or spend the money to rebuild the one i have..

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks i didn't find anything on it when i looked it up. ill have to just replace with one from a 2wd i guess or spend the money to rebuild the one i have..
If you have access to a pull-a-part yard, I would just drop one out. That’s what I did when mine blew. It would be cheaper, easier, and faster than rebuilding yours. I know when mine blew, I had a tooth from one of the gears sticking through the side of the housing.