rear end needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Whats up people. Im in search for a rear end for my 96 sierra 1500 right now has 10 bolt factory drum brakes and the gov bomb locker . Question is , in my search for a rear end that doesnt sound like total death at the j yard . what major things will be needed to be done if i went with a newer rear end with disc brakes , as well as what trucks were more common to have 3 73 gears a posi and the same width with 5 x5 bolt pattern ? im thinking suburban?

Any one that has done a rear swap any tips or trick or any advice i would appreciate it .

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Newer rear end will be 99-up pickups, 00-up Suburbans, and will be 6 lug so 5 lug is out of the game right off the bat.

No posi ever offered in these trucks. Locker only, the same Eaton Gov-Loc you're familiar with.

The newer rear ends are also not bolt-in to your truck. They can be made to work, sure, but not a direct swap at all.

Richard

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Consider looking for a gm 14 bolt semi floater, it has a 9.5" ring gear. I'm not sure if they are available in 5 lug but they can be found in the gmt400 light duty 2500 trucks.

This is what I used when my 10bolt blew.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
14 bolt 9.5" only available in 5 lug from a 454SS truck. In the light duty 2500's they are 6 lug. And he'd still need to convert it to disc brakes. But yeah, good strong choice for a rear axle and is far more likely to have 3.73's than most 2WD 10 bolts you'll find.

Richard