Rear end issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deathpunch0311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ever since I bought my truck 3 years ago, when I come to a complete stop then let off the brakes. It feels like the rear end of my truck drops an inch or two. It did it before I lifted it. I talked to a few older mechanics and they said that’s “normal” for these 400s. I’ve replaced the leaf springs when I did the lift. I’m at loss of what it could be. Any help will be appreciated.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
It is the differential housing rotating back to it's normal stance. When you come to a stop the pinion goes "nose down" and the brakes hold it in that position until you let off the pedal. My 92 does it but my '88,'90 and '98 do not.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Have you done anything to the brakes yet? It sounds like the drums are too tight or the fronts aren't strong enough.

Deathpunch0311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is the differential housing rotating back to it's normal stance. When you come to a stop the pinion goes "nose down" and the brakes hold it in that position until you let off the pedal. My 92 does it but my '88,'90 and '98 do not.

Will something like this help it? https://activesuspension.com/products/kits/1990-2016-chevrolet-1500-silverado-pickup/

Have you done anything to the brakes yet? It sounds like the drums are too tight or the fronts aren't strong enough.

I changed the all the brake pads/shoes when I did the lift. When I hit the brakes it does take some effort to stop it. It doesn’t stop on a dime. But it will stop I figured it was from it being a “heavy Chevy”
How do you adjust the front brakes? Never done that before

Wlfman

Reaction score
There is no adjustment on the front disc brakes short of putting an aftermarket proportioning valve in and changing the bias to the front. When you put on the new front pads did you change the rotors or use the worn rotors? Did you scuff up the existing rotors if you used them to allow the new pads to bed in correctly?