Rear end fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monstar_est87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
O snaps, O snaps..! So i finally lookd up my RPO codes and...

Bam..! GU6-AXLE,REAR,3.42 RATIO 3.42R(GU6), G80-AXLE,REAR,POSITRACTION,LIMITED SLIP POSITRACTION L/SLIP R/AXL(G80)
Autotuned... So wats the suggested rear fluid here..?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
O snaps, O snaps..! So i finally lookd up my RPO codes and...

Bam..! GU6-AXLE,REAR,3.42 RATIO 3.42R(GU6), G80-AXLE,REAR,POSITRACTION,LIMITED SLIP POSITRACTION L/SLIP R/AXL(G80)
Autotuned... So wats the suggested rear fluid here..?

Regular old gear oil. NO ADDITIVES!

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
i put additives in my G80.. Never had a issue. Even did it in my 10b camaro. no issues.

Sparg93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let me clear up some misconceptions about Permatex Black - you can NOT use it with synthetic fluids (there's a post on GMC4x4 explaining it in a few more details). About two years ago, Permatex decided to tell everyone their Black gasket maker was not designed for synthetic fluid, only conventional. The synthetic fluid was shown to eat away at the RTV (but it took awhile to really damage it).

As you can imagine, when they announced it, they also came out with Permatex GEAR rtv...you can use this stuff with synthetic fluids.

Also, if whatever piece of metal you have in your rear does not call for Synthetic fluid or fluid with additives, don't use it (I made that mistake recently); it can cause slippage. Synthetic fluid costs a TON more so you'd be decreasing performance while spending more $$.

Hope this helps!

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No additives for the G80, it says in the service bulletin not to at all, I have Castrol Syntec Synthetic 75w-90 in mine now and I am about ready to change it again with 50K on the fluid.