Really wish ppl would stop bringing me trucks with hydraulic fluid in trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My kitty Rowdy (RIP) was interested in how it smelled...

Back when my parents (and kids, 2B & 2G) still technically lived "on the farm", in the original farm house (dated to 1860s), we had a cat named Muffin.

Muffin was a smart cat, literally born and raised on the University of Illinois campus. She was an indoor / outdoor cat. She could get along on her own in the outdoors indefinitely but could handle herself with dignity if allowed to stay inside.

At night my sister would occasionally let Muffin out the upstairs bedroom dormer window when the weather was nice, and Muffin would go out in the dark and do her thing. When she would return she would "mew" to enter through the same upstairs bedroom window, and eventually sis would oblige.

This is all in the dark mind you, so "open window, let cat in, close window" was the process. No one bothered to see "what the cat drug in".

So of course on more than one occasion Muffin would bring her catch home. No one was the wiser until the telltale "crunch, crunch, crunch" of mouse skeleton was heard. And... then what? Might as well let the cat finish her business.

That cat lived a long time. After we moved off the farm she still lived out there on her own. We would see her regularly, as the family continued to operate the farm from the same location.

She never got around farm equipment (like cats will do), she never did anything stupid. In later years she just stopped coming around, and we figured she finally met her maker.

Last edited:

tybcr783

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rip to muffin, I recently had acquired a cat about six months ago. Was changing out the oil in my truck and as I finished up I heard meowing from the front of my yard. Thought it was a cat bird because there's plenty of those around our area and they are hella annoying. Ended up finding what looks like a 2 week old kitten under one of our sego palms. No clue how she ended up in my yard, but shes now my cat and she behaves really well. Stays inside for the most part but likes to spend the afternoons outside on the porch.

Tom400CFI

Reaction score
It's not cherry picked, it's literally the oil mentioned in the very first post of this thread that the OP was bitching about people using in their gas engines. You came into the thread saying the reason to not use it is because Diesel oil doesn't have the right additive package. The specific diesel oil he was griping about people using, is in fact rated for gasoline engine. It isn't the only one. Your generalization may be true in some cases(I'm sure not ALL diesel oils are rated for gasoline engines), but in the context of this thread, it doesn't apply.
Actually, it DOES apply. The assertion that the OP was really making, is that none of us are lube engineers (or engine, engineers), yet you got every Tom, Dick and Harry, telling themselves stories and rationalizing all manners of arbitrary concoctions as being a "solution" for their particular engine/trans -whatever....were there wasn't actually, a problem that needed solving. And this ain't limited to this here forum! It's on the 'Vette forums, EVERY forum...and it's in the OP's shop...I get it from mechanics in my own shop(s). That was the OP's original point, regardless of what examples he used, and I agree with that point. The OP was lamenting the outcomes of some of those home-brewed "lube solutions". I can relate and I sympathize with him.

Now, conversely, ALL (engine) oils today are better than good enough. I bet many of us have realized pretty astonishing engine life by doing good PM's, right? I sold a GMT400 with 300,000 miles that ran mint. The cab was rotted through above the windshield, repaired and rotting through again. 5th gear slid on the counter shaft and was rubbing the trans case. The 10 bolt had been replaced 4 times. So, what oil/brew/concoction did I use to get those fantastic (engine) results? What potion should I have used, to get "better life" out of that truck? It doesn't matter. Use the bottle that appeals to your particular fancy, and then change it when it's time. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir on this second point, the quality of the lubes that are available to us these days allows guys to do different things, get away with it, and then come on the forums and say, "Use this! I do and....haven't had a problem YET!!" :rotflmao:

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Actually, it DOES apply. The assertion that the OP was really making, is that none of us are lube engineers (or engine, engineers), yet you got every Tom, Dick and Harry, telling themselves stories about how they've rationalized all manners of arbitrary concoctions as being a "solution" for their particular engine/trans -whatever....were there wasn't actually, a problem that needed solving. And this ain't limited to this here forum! It's on the 'Vette forums, EVERY forum...and it's in the OP's shop...I get it from mechanics in my own shop(s). That was the OP's original point, regardless of what examples he used, and I agree with that point.

Now, conversely, ALL (engine) oils today are better than good enough. I bet many of us have realized pretty astonishing engine life by doing good PM's, right? I sold a GMT400 with 300,000 miles that ran mint. The cab was rotted through above the windshield, repaired and rotting through again. 5th gear slid on the counter shaft and was rubbing the trans case. The 10 bolt had been replaced 4 times. So, what oil/brew/concoction should I have used, to get "better life" out of that truck? It doesn't matter. Use the bottle that appeals to your particular fancy, and then change it when it's time. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir on this second point.
I use 303 hydraulic oil from Tractor Supply in everything and it's been fine. In my automatics, manuals, engines (LS and BBC as well as my 6.1 hemi), and all differentials. It also keeps my hair clippers running top notch, use them about every 2 weeks.

The cash from the class action settlement has been nice too

Richard

Tom400CFI

Reaction score
I use 303 hydraulic oil from Tractor Supply in everything and it's been fine. In my automatics, manuals, engines (LS and BBC as well as my 6.1 hemi), and all differentials. It also keeps my hair clippers running top notch, use them about every 2 weeks.

The cash from the class action settlement has been nice too

Richard
See? :rotflmao: :waytogo: