Re-Gear Quote, Seems good IMO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to re-gear, called a shop down in the valley:

$1350 OTD For:
Yukon 4.56s with Master Overhaul Kits - Front and Back
(uknown brand) Deep Performance Differential Cover
All Fluids, small parts, etc.
5 year warranty
1500 mile inspection & fluid change

Seems like a hell of a deal to me? Input?

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a helluva deal to me, especially with Yukon parts.

Yeah, that's what I thought too - I first asked him what brand gears he uses (thinking to myself motive or something), and when he said Yukon I was shocked. For complete master overhaul kits, and the ring and pinions.. that's like $950 Summit prices. I assume he gets a break on the price, but still. Including all the small/soft parts and fluids, and a high performance diff cover... he's charging like $100-$150 an axle. This isn't some shady shop either, its the best rated/known gear shop in the Valley (you can tell with is warranty).

Can't wait to get it done; should be early September.

VCaddy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sure prices vary some by region, but I had a friend in Utah with an 08 Silverado get both axles regeared for 2 grand. But he had the cost of a Truetrac in that price too.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
But he had the cost of a Truetrac in that price too.

On that note... If I personally were going to re-gear my 4X4 'burb there's no way I'd leave the factory carrier in there. No matter if it's the G80 or an open diff. Do it all while you're in there or you'll regret it later IMO.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This ^. Definitely glad I went from open carried to trutrac at the same time of my gear change. No reason to do things twice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Can either of you elaborate further into the reasoning? I am all for not making a bad decision, assuming its needed. But if it's one of those 'just because' things, I need to seriously weight it in (I have the G80).

My only concern is budget - I'm playing with 3 grand to get my gears done, the lift, and 2 more tires.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the G80 isn't the most reliable rear end to have. It doesn't do well under abuse/lift/big tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well the G80 isn't the most reliable rear end to have. It doesn't do well under abuse/lift/big tires.

This, plus they're just kind of crappy compared to the function of a real locker like a Detroit. Unlock at over 15mph, work when you don't want them to, don't when you do, etc.