Rattle can paint job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
shut the door and paint lol.

I paint junk in the front yard out in the open. I don't care what anyone says it works and does just fine. I can show plenty of pics to prove it too.

I use spray cans mixed at the body shop supply store all the time. it works perfect and lasts forever, since it's the same paint that comes out of a gun, it's just mixed and put in a spray can. They got BC/CC and single stage, works great. I use single stage all the time. I did the cab corners on my 88 with it.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just a thought, but the price of spray paint these days and the price of the Duplicolor pre mixed auto paint.. Why not use it instead of rattle can? Its only $22 a quart. Sand the whole truck with 400 grit on the bad paint areas, then 600 grit the whole thing. Spray the paint on and they even have different clears.. real paint, real cheap. You would have under a hundred bucks in it. And it be correct.. Or at $5 a can in spray paint and atleast 10-15 cans you only spend about $25 for allot more quality and way better results. IMO.... Almost every part store sells the stuff. Popular traditional colors and even some wild ones...

Great idea!

Bertiespeed

||*||CDNP 4 life
Reaction score
Just a thought, but the price of spray paint these days and the price of the Duplicolor pre mixed auto paint.. Why not use it instead of rattle can? Its only $22 a quart. Sand the whole truck with 400 grit on the bad paint areas, then 600 grit the whole thing. Spray the paint on and they even have different clears.. real paint, real cheap. You would have under a hundred bucks in it. And it be correct.. Or at $5 a can in spray paint and atleast 10-15 cans you only spend about $25 for allot more quality and way better results. IMO.... Almost every part store sells the stuff. Popular traditional colors and even some wild ones...

^^ Yeah this is a great idea ! my father in law did his 67 valiant same way for about 125$ with all the prep work ,and paint and buying a used gun turned out pretty decent too ! I will be doin the same when i get to it . I could never imagine doin my whole truck in rattle paint. I mean just the primer i buy for odd jobs is 10$ a can :/ i just replaced my front fenders and it cost me 60$ alone to prep and prime them

Reaction score
As stated above, you can close the door down.. but id say just get some cheap plastic and hang over the doorway, and put a cheap box fan in the doorway to blow out fumes and help prevent overspray. But also like swim350 said, you can spray it in you yard. Ive done it several times..lol Pic a clear day thats not going to be cold that night. Around the 70s- lower 80s works great. You don't want to spray too late in the day if its going to get really cold that night. It will haze the finish when the dew/ moisture hits. I usually do all the sanding one day, then tape and spray the next morning.. as the day warms it should be cured fairly hard at the high point of the day. Spray a thin coat and not try to make it cover first pass.. Then once all sprayed take a short 10-15 minute break and repeat. lol.. You can take your finger and touch a discreet spot to check if its ready for the next coat, if its wet then its not ready.. But if you can touch and leave a finger print its good to go again. The Duplicolor stuff you can spray the color then the clear and get an awesome finish.. But NAPA sells farm/ fleet auto paints in basic colors and it'll cost about the same and its just a single stage. no clear.. You can also check in at a local Auto Paint store near ya to see if they have pre-mixed colors, shops have them mix up colors and sometimes the color isn't a match. Or they make custom color and customer backs out.. You can usually get these fk-up colors REALLY CHEAP! lol..

Heres just a link that has the duplicolor paint and its colors and simplicity of its use... But its cheaper if you get it at the parts store (by the spray paints)
http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraypaintdepot/DC-paintshop.aspx

And a pretty good video on how to paint a vehicle from start to finish with it.. really simple..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwkFgPyCQic

an even better custom job..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3kiC3PJ6qA&NR=1

Wanna do a candy? lol..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX_q01mdId4&feature=relmfu

Last edited:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea unless you got picky or nosy neighbors like me now, you can't paint much outside. I got called in on when I painted old man's 84, the EPA showed up like 2 weeks after it was done. I told em I was using undercoat, they said they saw nothing wrong with my instant carport if I were painting as long as the flaps were down, and they were, and I had a fan pulling fumes out of the tent. it worked good, had bugs in it though, only on the hood. I wished I would have sprayed bug spray first. My landlord said he did it all the time.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I paint in my garage/shed, doors closed while spraying and then about an hours after then i let it/me breathe. if your looking into painting the whole thing i'd do it right. trust me its not worth rattlecaning and later deciding to spray it, i'd rough it down with 600 and pray the whole thing (do a better job then me tho.. and get a half decent gun)

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Returned the spray cans and got the duplicolor cans. Shooting for the body prep to be done and start painting Sunday morning next week.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
get any clear with it? your probably gonna want some.. mabye primer if your sanding real deep.