Rattle can paint job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
I have a real bad paint peeling problem and very low funds right now. Anyone spray paint a truck on here? I here you can spray it, wet sand and buff it to look decent. Any thoughts?

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
use the duplicolor factory match spraybombs those work the best done some touch up and did my lund visor with it and it matches really good

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Any idea's as far as sand paper? What to prep with? I hear 2000 is a good one to wet sand with. Thoughts????

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes that would be fine that what i used on the visor,primed and sanded the hit it with the color,all ya gotta do is take your time doing it for the best job

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
What grit do you think before painting?

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
please to it the correct way and take off the weather stripping and anything else like step bars, bedrail caps etc.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
please to it the correct way and take off the weather stripping and anything else like step bars, bedrail caps etc.

Yeah take off the bed rails, but there is really no reason to take off the weather stripping or step bars. Just mask them off good with 3M masking tape (emphasis on the 3M part!!!). If you want a low buck paint job, go with a single stage paint and spray it yourself. You can get CHEAP single stage paint nowadays. And i think i seen a HVLP gun in Harbor Freight for like $20. I've sprayed all my tractors with Valspar single stage tractor paint, and they turned out GREAT! Keep in mind they where stripped to bare metal, but still the results are amazing and it holds up really well. You can go to your local Fleet farm, Tractor supply co, etc. and pick up a gallon for like $40, and then you still need the reducer and thinner. BUT for a $100 dollar bill or two, you can have a MUCH better looking finish then with a rattle can. As far as what to prep with, it all depends on how bad the paint is. Start with atleast 400 to knock down the paint and then work up to a 1500 or so wet, or until it's smooth. And be sure to wash it really well with soap and water before you spray (also be sure all water is out of ever crack) And then after, colorsand it with 2000, and cut it with foam, then wool.

Reaction score
Just a thought, but the price of spray paint these days and the price of the Duplicolor pre mixed auto paint.. Why not use it instead of rattle can? Its only $22 a quart. Sand the whole truck with 400 grit on the bad paint areas, then 600 grit the whole thing. Spray the paint on and they even have different clears.. real paint, real cheap. You would have under a hundred bucks in it. And it be correct.. Or at $5 a can in spray paint and atleast 10-15 cans you only spend about $25 for allot more quality and way better results. IMO.... Almost every part store sells the stuff. Popular traditional colors and even some wild ones...

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a thought, but the price of spray paint these days and the price of the Duplicolor pre mixed auto paint.. Why not use it instead of rattle can? Its only $22 a quart. Sand the whole truck with 400 grit on the bad paint areas, then 600 grit the whole thing. Spray the paint on and they even have different clears.. real paint, real cheap. You would have under a hundred bucks in it. And it be correct.. Or at $5 a can in spray paint and atleast 10-15 cans you only spend about $25 for allot more quality and way better results. IMO.... Almost every part store sells the stuff. Popular traditional colors and even some wild ones...

:word: Save yourself the trouble and skip the rattle can idea, and just go with a SS or BC/CC paint!