Question about 454 raditor in 98 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Albert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Friend of mine is selling a brand new radiator off a 95 454 wondering would this be a direct bolt on with no modification? This would be going in my 98 5.7

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If memory serves you'll have problems with the oil cooler and transmission cooler fittings. If I'm right they changed in 1996 to a different thread.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I believe its thicker too so you'd have to run electric fans
Many of them have the same thickness of core or very similar, and the fan's not going to be anywhere near touching it. You've still got several inches which is why there's a shroud to bridge the gap.

Older small block trucks were more common to see a narrower radiator (like the 28") but after a few years they started using the 34" in pretty much everything, so that wouldn't likely be an issue in OP's case.

The real issue here unfortunately will be those fittings. There are adapters out there for them but I can't think of a separate easy source right off hand; I have seen them come with brand new radiators sometimes.

Richard

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Many of them have the same thickness of core or very similar, and the fan's not going to be anywhere near touching it. You've still got several inches which is why there's a shroud to bridge the gap.

Older small block trucks were more common to see a narrower radiator (like the 28") but after a few years they started using the 34" in pretty much everything, so that wouldn't likely be an issue in OP's case.

The real issue here unfortunately will be those fittings. There are adapters out there for them but I can't think of a separate easy source right off hand; I have seen them come with brand new radiators sometimes.

Richard
maybe I should have worded it different. If the radiator is thicker, then there's a chance that the shroud would get pushed back a little, I believe I read that somewhere on the forums, and the shroud needed to be trimmed, or removed, which is why i suggested electric fans. Nice upgrade anyways to free up a little of the engine load

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Can't believe everything you read. Same with electric fans, many are incapable of the same cfm as the factory clutch fan. And if it's not a fully OEM setup from one end to the other, you introduce a lot of unreliability into the mix.

Richard

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I run a 454 radiator in my 94 1500. It is taller and wider. All you need is the upper radiator brackets to mount it. I run electric fans but I don't see any problems running the clutch fan. If you fun clutch fan you would need the 454 shroud I think. Cant confirm that because I don't have a shroud. The lines all fit in mine, I do have all the adapters though I found them in the jy.

Albert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for eveyones input i think im just going to order a direct replacement lol seems like its too much involved