Puller or Pusher???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So we did an engine swap a while ago in my 1990 SS454, went 502HO , with carb. So everything is pretty good, fighting a few gremlins but its pretty much stand alone motor now.
Anyway they couldn't get the little condenser aux fan to come on with the sensor so they had to wire it directly to the ignition switch, the ECM is pretty much kaput with no input.
Today I happened to be in front of the grille looking at something and I had the ignition on, I notice the fan is bowing air out of the front ??? which would make it a pusher right since is mounted in front of the radiator, but shouldn't it be a "puller" located in that area so that it pulls in cooler outside air thru the rad ??
Also ( I tried this on the spare one I replaced and it worked) can I just switch the wires and make it run the opposite direction so that it does pull in cooler outside air thru the rad?? That's if there is any cool air out there, ita 112' today lol :(
Bobby V

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A "pusher" fan is mounted ahead of the component to be cooled.

A "puller" fan is mounted behind the component to be cooled.

You have a "Pusher" fan that's blowing the wrong way. Yeah, I'd expect that you'd switch the wires so it blows rearward. If not, you'd have to flip the fan itself the other way.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I managed to hook my pullers up backwards in my Crown Victoria and when driving 30mph the car would get hot. As soon as I stopped it would cool back down. Easy kill, but a fan blowing the wrong way is very counterproductive. Pullers tend to be more effective

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if I got this right, the fan now is mounted in front of the rad, and its blowing/sucking air out the front of the grille so it aint doing any thing correct. I'll switch the wires and hopefully it doent burn up, I don't know if it will make any difference in my temps as they remain high when stopped at a signal, Rollin they are fine at 185' but get caught at one of our forever long signals and it goes to 220' and I dont like that. Maybe that little sucker will help that situation ??? But I doubt it, its only about a 10" fan
Every thing is new and correct in the cooling system so maybe Ill have to bite the bullet and get a dbl electric fan set up.
Oh and Pete, I'll sell you the motor and throw in a nice truck with it for a great price, you can afford it ;)
Bobby v

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'll say my 3500 blows colder at a stoplight than my 1500 ever did with a stock fan. The 1500 didn't have the pusher either.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well mission accomplished, instead of trying to figure out where ,why, what they did when they reworked the harness involving that sensor I just cut the wires on the fan before the plug and rewired them reversed, blue to black and black to blue. Fan runs the correct direction now pushing ouside air thru the radaitor. Will it make a big difference, I don't know but It cant hurt.
Oh yeah Pete, gonna hit 114' they say, too friggin HOT but better than a few years ago on the 4th.

You must be registered for see images attach

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well mission accomplished, instead of trying to figure out where ,why, what they did when they reworked the harness involving that sensor I just cut the wires on the fan before the plug and rewired them reversed, blue to black and black to blue. Fan runs the correct direction now pushing ouside air thru the radaitor. Will it make a big difference, I don't know but It cant hurt.
Oh yeah Pete, gonna hit 114' they say, too friggin HOT but better than a few years ago on the 4th.
Ugh I don't know how you guys can handle that heat. It gets to 100 here and im dying. I don't know how much humidity you get but it is not pleasant here with the amount we have.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's already 112 right now. I worked in the shop for 3 hours this morning building cabinets and decided to come in, cool off and watch some Indy and NASCAR racing. Glad you got your fan working right, I hope!

I don't know how much humidity you get but it is not pleasant here with the amount we have.
It's a dry heat, LOL. Right now our humidity is ~21%