Project Ted, a 1993 RCSB 496 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Good news, I discovered that on this transmission you can simply unbolt the shifter and rotate it 180 degrees to move it a few inches closer to the stock location. I think that should be close enough to not come in contact with the seat, and I won't have to worry about buying the shifer relocation kit. I'll give that a try later tonight, along with the gas tank installation, it dried perfectly overnight.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Ok, got to spend some time out in the barn tonight. I started off by rotating the shifter on the transmission. Super easy, just remove the 6 bolts and flip it. I made some rough measurements to see where it would pop up through the floor, and it appears that it will come up just on the rear edge of the factory floor cutout location, so I think it will be fine without having to spend the extra money on the shifter for the further up location. Then, I got the gas tank support back on, popped the tank and straps on, and stuck the pump and sending unit in. I also started setting up the drive belt system. I realized after purchasing and installing the water pump, that I bought the wrong one :Stupid Me: I need the reverse rotation one since i'm running a serp belt. I mocked up the ps pump, alt, and tensioner. Not sure if its rare or not, but back when I got a 454 from the junkyard, it was a factory non a/c truck, and had the bracket with tensioner on the top left where the compressor would be. Worked out really well so I don't have to install the large bulky bracket with an a/c delete pulley. After all that, I fought for over an hour with reinstalling the starter in the Pulsar, which was quite a pain in the ass, and it has the same problem that it did before :suicide: Now time for more beer.
You must be registered for see images attach

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Things might take a short break for a little while on this, I just bought another GMT400, a 92 Sierra K1500. I decided that it's time to sell my 01 that i've had for 8 1/2 years in lieu of something heavier duty since I do a decent amount of towing and hauling. My buddy is in the market for a truck and i'm going to sell him mine. I'd love to get a 2500 or 3500 with a 5 or 6 speed manual. I'm going to be picky so I don't know how long it will take me to find the right one. In the mean time, I picked this thing up cheap and local, it needs some paint and some minor reassembly, but its very solid. I'm going to spray bomb it and work out a few bugs so I can drive it, then get back to business on the real project!

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Got a bunch of work done on the new truck tonight, hope to have it all painted tomorrow! The sooner this is done the sooner I can get back to preparing to get the cab back on

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Paint on the other truck done. Depending on how long I keep this, i'll have 2 black RCSB trucks, which wouldn't be a bad thing. Since this one isn't a real project, I can do cheap upgrades and mods on this one that I wouldn't do on Ted.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Ended up using the rear brake lines and tailgate I had saved for this on the new project. I'm thinking i'm gonna throw the cowl hood on too, since the front has a rust spot and it doesn't latch and was held on with hood pins. I think I'd rather go with a new one since i'm going this far with it. Will make some more progress on this things soon, once the other one's issues are sorted out!

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Actually made a tiny bit of progress, I installed the correct water pump on the block, since I had previously ordered the wrong one. Since I'm running a serp belt I needed a reverse flow pump with no power steering bracket attached. I just ended up going with an OEM Gates pump.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Finally, some progress!! Took a little while, but I managed to get the cab sitting on the frame this afternoon.

Got the rest of the frame out too obviously. Now you can see why I changed it! All of that was hidden with caulk before.