Project Can’t Just Leave It Alone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THase89

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

First of all, I’m new here and have been browsing in attempts to learn some things about my new truck. What better way to get acquainted that by starting a build thread.

Little history - I’m an avid off roader. I love my Jeeps and with my TJR I have found myself borrowing my dads truck to take it to trails too often so I set out to buy myself another truck that can pull something. So I sold my Dakota and just kinda browsed.

Few miles from my house a 96 CC Dually 454 popped up for sale. $900, needs fender, fuel pump and a starter. Body is straight (except where fender took a blow out head on) and rust free. Truck has sat for a year.

I wrote the man a check an hour after he listed it and brought (drug via tractor) it home.

So far I’ve replaced the starter and fuel pump to make sure everything runs like it should as I didn’t want to deal with a bad motor / transmission. After replacing, truck fired right up after a can of starting fluid persuasion and fires off immediately every time I’ve tried to start it since.

Then I sat out on a journey to find a fender so I could be legal and take it for a cruise and see how well it shifts and runs. 9 hour round trip on Sunday and scored a new fiberglass fender for $100. Bolted it up (temporary until I can do some bedside body work) and drive it. Immediate concern is holy 40+ MPH violent shakes. Front tires are terrible.

Anyway, as a ford guy, and being hard to say this publicly... this truck Fuggin Rocks! I’m excited to play with it.

Here’s some pics of it and I’ll update the thread as I go along with the project

End goal is a comfortable-ish tow rig that will last my years to come.

You must be registered for see images attach

THase89

Reaction score
Next step is the front tire issue. One of the front aluminums is busted around the edge and the tires are shot. I ordered some Steel wheels for it today and some new tires for the front. Should be here by Friday. Hopefully this will cure the white knuckle ******* eats the seat vibration. I will say I’ve not done a thorough inspection of the front end yet but will get to that soon.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice score! Save a couple of the old wheels to use as inners for the rear and keep your eyes open for an aluminum set. You'll be surprised how much difference the ride is by lowering the unsprung weight.