Preparing for road trip, any suggested maintenance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
With everything that you've already done, you'll have one of the most mechanically sound 400's on the road when you set out for your journey. At this point, keep a basic set of tools, some extra oil, 2 gal gas can, duct tape, RTV, etc in the back with a cell phone and charger and you'll be just fine. Relax and enjoy the trip with your family.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
You're probably right, but I will never hear the end of it from my wife if the suburban breaks down on our way to our friends' wedding.

There are no guarantees in life. You could replace 95% of the parts, and miss the one item that could fail. I used to have some British cars. I had a 58 Triumph TR3 and my wife and I went to a British car show with another couple. My wife refused to go on the Triumph because she didn't want to risk a break down. My friends went on their MGB, and we went on our almost new minivan. The battery on the minivan crapped out on the weekend, and we had to take the MGB to the parts store for a battery.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With everything that you've already done, you'll have one of the most mechanically sound 400's on the road when you set out for your journey. At this point, keep a basic set of tools, some extra oil, 2 gal gas can, duct tape, RTV, etc in the back with a cell phone and charger and you'll be just fine. Relax and enjoy the trip with your family.
Thanks

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just an update. I've since put in all new vacuum lines, new PCV (this was my oil leak source), new EGR and solenoid, new PS pump and lines, new pitman arm, new idler arm, got it aligned (again). Will be dropping the trans pan and replacing the filter and replacing the rear end grease this weekend. I got it inspected yesterday, safety and emissions, passed with flying colors! Been putting as many miles as I can on it, she runs great. We leave on Tuesday.

Last edited:

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Made it back yesterday from the trip. I put about 3k miles on it in just over a week, no issues whatsoever! I averaged just shy of 15 mpg on the highway and only burned through half a quart of oil, not bad for a 94. Thanks for your input everyone!