Power steering doesnt work while idleing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
My power steering doesnt work while at a stop or anything but when i get to about 10-15 mph it works just fine. Drained the fluid and changed it but still no luck. Could my steering pump be shot?

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
The pump is probably going out. Once you start rolling you wont really be able to tell because power steering is really only noticeable when you're not stopped or BARELY moving.

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The pump is probably going out. Once you start rolling you wont really be able to tell because power steering is really only noticeable when you're not stopped or BARELY moving.

I agree plus if it's going out it won't put out much flow at low RPMs but when you start spinning it faster it'll overcome it's lost tolerances.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
When making a tight turn like parking and whatnot, kick it into neutral and feather the throttle while turning the wheel. Works great turning around on trails and in tight parking situation. Especially with big asss tires...

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
When making a tight turn like parking and whatnot, kick it into neutral and feather the throttle while turning the wheel. Works great turning around on trails and in tight parking situation. Especially with big asss tires...

I never thought about that. Noted because my pump is getting a little weak as well!

JJHUSSY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it whining or making any other noise? You sure its working and not just easier because of momentum? Sounds like a pump to me :S

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
you guys are right. higher RPM's = easier turns. any advice on what to replace?