posi rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how can you tell whether or not the posi is working in the rear? i know the code in the glove boxs says i have a posi just dont know if it works

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Anything that allows your rear tires to slip. Have someone let you know what happens. That will probably be your best bet. Also if you are running synthetic oil in the diff it causes the posi to not hook up as well. Regular oil makes it more aggressive

JJHUSSY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What I do is pull into an alley or a gravel road, do a small brake stand, pull ahead a couple feet and check to see. If there is only one mark = not posi, both = posi.

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
light em up! haha but same as every one else says, one line of rubber or two!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
How many miles on the truck? Dif. Fluid tends to get overlooked in long term maintenance. Might be a good time to change it. Gotta loosen off the cover to do that, so might as well go one step further and take it right off, see want you got, inspect the rest of what's in there, (gear & pinion teeth, C-clips, etc.) then fill it up with some nice fresh fluid. about an hour's worth of work.
Don't use the GM posi additive with a gov-lock.
Don't recommend synthetic fluid, cause if the tubes or the pinion seal weeps a little bit, the synthetic will cause that to become real leaks.

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trucks got 110000 miles and i really should change the fluid since i don't know when the last te it was changed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What kind of diff fluid should i use

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What kind of diff fluid should i use

sorry to thread jack but i will be changing the rear end oil in my truck to, so i would also like to know what type to use also. :)
Edit: i do not have a posi or limited slip

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Anything that creates this kind of slippage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8nAbg5suFw

Just remember not to hammer a G80 too hard or things go "BOOM!"

A G80 is a low speed traction aid intended to get you going on slick surfaces (Think: soccer mom use). It's not intended for doing "posi burnouts", jamming through deep mud or bumping up big rock on big tires....