Pop when turning subs off.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1997 GMC 1500 with a 5.7 vortec. SSL amp and Rockford fosgate p2 12s. I have an issue that started yesterday concerning my subs. Yesterday I went and took the stock cd player out of my truck and replaced it with a blank piece of steel. The CD player had not been hooked up in 4 or 5 months because ive had an aftermarket head unit. With removing that and cutting and pulling the wires out, my subs now have a hard turn off. In other words they pop when I shut the truck off, or when I switch my remote switch off. Any thoughts on what this could be? Never had the issue before until yesterday

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd like to know the cause of this myself, had a truck once that did this, drove me insane.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Disconnect the RCA's from the amp, then see if it still does it. We can work from there.

What wires did you cut? The harness that runs between the factory headunit and the slave CD player? That should've pulled right out.

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Disconnect the RCA's from the amp, then see if it still does it. We can work from there.

What wires did you cut? The harness that runs between the factory headunit and the slave CD player? That should've pulled right out.

Tried 2 sets of RCAs. Same result. RCAs unplugged. Same result. Yes the slave cd player. The wires did pull right out.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Compare the voltage of the remote wire at the amp to the battery wire at the amp. If they are high enough and similar, your issue has to be a ground or the amp itself. Keep in mind, you need to check the factory battery-to-body wire, body-to-frame strap, etc.

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Compare the voltage of the remote wire at the amp to the battery wire at the amp. If they are high enough and similar, your issue has to be a ground or the amp itself. Keep in mind, you need to check the factory battery-to-body wire, body-to-frame strap, etc.

Theyre both 12v. Grounded directly to the battery with a jumper cable and it made no difference.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Then it has to be something internal in your amp that coincidentally failed.

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then it has to be something internal in your amp that coincidentally failed.

Coincidentally right at the time that im changing stuff that has nothing to do with it.. Damn. Well alright! Thanks! Of course I thought it was something I did so we spent about an hour trying to fix it today.. lol

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
:33: That's how it goes sometimes. Sure you just didn't notice it until you removed the CD player?

If you have the amp connected directly to the battery and completely isolated from everything but the battery and subwoofer, then there's really nothing else it could be.

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
:33: That's how it goes sometimes. Sure you just didn't notice it until you removed the CD player?

If you have the amp connected directly to the battery and completely isolated from everything but the battery and subwoofer, then there's really nothing else it could be.

No it's definitely a new noise haha. Yeah it must be the amp, probably a capacitor not draining right and letting the power out through the subs.. Thanks for the help!