Pop-up bed pocket anchor build.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuildStuff

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images
I had seen some pop-up bed pocket anchors for sale, but they were very expensive, as I think they aren't being made anymore. Also, the load rating on them seemed a bit small, so I set out to build my own. I completed the mechanics of the first test build, which I haven't installed yet, as I have to figure out how to drill 2 holes through the bottom of the stake pocket to secure the contraption and give the unit more holding power. What is left for this first one is to grind a bunch of stinky welds, mount it into the truck, square up the top plate to the truck bed body lines, which I can't do until I mount it, trim off the excess metal above the hole the ratchet strap hooks onto, so as to be flush with the top plate when it is not being used, aka 'flush mount'. This mechanism is a push to close, then push again to open, powered by 2 springs to lift the anchor point up, and the springs provide the force needed when compressed to hold the anchor point down when not needed, this is accomplished by way of a pawl. I need to refine this a little for the next one, but I have limited tools and can't really build it the way I want to, but oh well.

Last edited:

BuildStuff

Reaction score
The issue with the 2 holes in the bottom of the stake pocket is the bottom is 6 inches down, And I don't have a 7 inch long 3/8" metal bit, and the holes are likely to fall on what looks like a flange, well half on and half off. This is likely to.make whatever bit I use to 'wander' a little, which I need these holes to be kind of exact so as not to have any play, as that might translate into slop on the other end where the ratchet strap hooks on.

BuildStuff

Reaction score
Well, I got the holes drilled, albeit in the wrong spot, but drilled none the less. All is not lost, as a simple plate on the outside bottom will correct my issue. Problem was, I put a dob of paint on the bottom of each 3/8 inch threaded shaft, see pics above, slid the contraption into the pocket, and the paint in theory would mark the position of the holes from there. The problem was the top finish plate couldn't be flush until I drilled the holes, so I had to eyeball that part, only my eyeball was off, thusly my holes were off. An error of transposing marks. Tomorrow I will finish the trimming of the top plate, which is the part one can see on top of the bed rail, cut everything flush, take some pics and post them, as I'm pretty sure this all looks like Greek without pictures. Next part I build should go much smoother, and I'll post pics of the actual part build if anyone is interested in building a set of these for their own use.

BuildStuff

Reaction score
I put a rubber gasket of sorts between the anchor and the bed for protection of the truck finish, is now only semi-flush, but I can live with it. Might g8ve it another coat of paint, not sure, but I'm calling this one done. Very sturdy in the pocket, and although I can't effectively test for load capacity, it will certainly do for regular house stuff, trips to.the dump, furniture/appliance delivery and such.

BuildStuff

Reaction score
I like those, except the patent pending status right there on top. Bull Ring makes some nice ones as well. I have to make a 'key' of sorts. The limitations of my tools made it so the slot on the top is narrower than the finger required to push it down th 1/2 inch into the pocket to release the pawl holding it down. If I had the tools, that top plate that slips into the opening would be machined from aluminum, making it about an inch thick in total, most of that slipped down into the pocket, from there I could have it so the part that you push down is much wider, so a finger width could do it.

BuildStuff

Reaction score
I realize it now. I wonder if they made their money back on those. You know, that would be a nice setup if one could get rid of the top plate altogether and mount it flush with the bed, that would be cool. Have to think about that for a bit.