please fellas can you suggest some advice this is embarrasing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cviola2005

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If none of the above suggestions work, try the ignition switch. I've heard of a few getting loose and causing this problem. I think mine is starting to do it.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
If none of the above suggestions work, try the ignition switch. I've heard of a few getting loose and causing this problem. I think mine is starting to do it.

Interesting point I forgot about that. Happened to a 98 6.5 truck I was working on. None of my dash lights would come on but it would whirl over. Tap on the switch and everything would come on normally (engine light, glow plugs etc.), and would start normally.
Note (at least on 95+ trucks), the ignition switch and lock cylinder are different things. The ignition switch is a black box inside the steering column under the column trim, with a bunch of wires running under the dash to a plug.

Tricky's_Limitedhoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had my truck since new it had been ten years on all other ignition parts, so I just went ahead and did preventive maintenance and changed all. I did a Major Tune up, and when I finished all, she is purring like a kitten but has a growl of a wild dog when I stomp my foot in her. But part by part would be just so time consuming and just piss you off when the cheap parts are not it. If the truck is pretty old and you plan on keeping her I would just change all and don't have to worry for a while. Order parts on line and get major discounts.

Sent from a Phone Booth using Tapatalk