Plastic epoxy/customization.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
heres the pieces im working with all gutted
You must be registered for see images attach

i dont have a significat amount of work to do, on the two small switches i just had to fill it to where its even with the back piece of the console, on the top ac piece i have to try and sand down the parts that are molded out so that the whole piece is smooth with no parts that stick out farther then the rest.

I also though about getting a piece of thin metal made thats the same size as the ac controls hell maybe even the small switches but on the ac controls i would see if a bowtie could be etched in or painted on, see as how im going to try and dye the plastic instead of painting it (if i can get a color matched) and im pretty sure i wouldnt be able to dye the metal lol so i will probably just stick with epoxy jb weld stuff and if it doesnt work out ill either get metal pieces made or see about fiberglass

SunSetPrez

Reaction score
I like to use thin abs plastic for that. Cut to fit the area, then with a little heat you can make the abs match the contour. Clean the plastic good then epoxy the piece of abs in. After that a very thin layer of body filler and your done.

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like to use thin abs plastic for that. Cut to fit the area, then with a little heat you can make the abs match the contour. Clean the plastic good then epoxy the piece of abs in. After that a very thin layer of body filler and your done.

where would i get this "abs plastic"?

SunSetPrez

Reaction score
Honestly I have no idea. My buddy owns a shop that repairs high end audio and visual equipment and he uses it there. I just ask him to bring some home lol.

deej-79

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jb weld gets mixed one to one if you go that route, not like bondo.

Reaction score
Just sand the plastic with a heavy grit after you clean it really good, and use fiberglass filler... "kitty hair". Sand and prime/ paint. Done. Hard plastic, regular primer will hold if scuffed and cleaned well.. flexible pieces or softer plastics use a plastic primer, its made to flex as to where regular primers will pull away when flexed.
I used scrap interior pieces to fill areas on my double din, used a soldering iron and melted the pieces together (kinda like welding)..lol then sanded and skimed with filler.
3M makes a two part epoxy plastic repair that works great, pretty much any "Bumper repair epoxy" will bond/fill plastics. Whatever you do, just make sure you clean it really good.. No telling what kind of detailing greases have been put on it over the years...lol

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jb weld gets mixed one to one if you go that route, not like bondo.

what?

Just sand the plastic with a heavy grit after you clean it really good, and use fiberglass filler... "kitty hair". Sand and prime/ paint. Done. Hard plastic, regular primer will hold if scuffed and cleaned well.. flexible pieces or softer plastics use a plastic primer, its made to flex as to where regular primers will pull away when flexed. ,
I used scrap interior pieces to fill areas on my double din, used a soldering iron and melted the pieces together (kinda like welding)..lol then sanded and skimed with filler.
3M makes a two part epoxy plastic repair that works great, pretty much any "Bumper repair epoxy" will bond/fill plastics. Whatever you do, just make sure you clean it really good.. No telling what kind of detailing greases have been put on it over the years...lol

yea ill make sure i clean it, since i used the jb weld already we will see how well it holds up.

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use this stuff
You must be registered for see images

I use it on everything thats plastic or like plastic. I used it on my cracked fender flares and you cant even tell they were cracked. Super strong stuff and easy to sand/work with

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use this stuff
You must be registered for see images

I use it on everything thats plastic or like plastic. I used it on my cracked fender flares and you cant even tell they were cracked. Super strong stuff and easy to sand/work with

nothing showed up....

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Works for me. lol
this work?

Permatex Permapoxy Plastic Weld