Performance upgrades for 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shucks

Reaction score
So before too long I'll be owning a 5.7 Vortec that came out of another truck that was wreaked. I don't want to just get it and slap it in real fast without doing some upgrades while it is out-and-about. I dont wanna blow a hole in my wallet but I do want to know what are some recommended upgrades to a 350 Vortec while the motor is sitting out? I'd be willing to put at most 7 or 8 hundred into it. Any advice would be awesome, I'm not good at choosing the correct part.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
cam, port job, tune, headers, exhaust, electric fans, underdrives.

is this going in a vortec truck or tbi truck?

and if you cant pick the right parts, tbh i wouldnt even recomend throwing performacnce parts or anything into something you dont understand to some degree. not trying to be harsh but some things work some things dont, and if you dont know how to make one thing work or what compliments what then id swap in the basic 350 vortec if you have the mechanical skill sto do that, and then do lots of research until you figure out what you really want, and shop around for a few months. jumping right into something youll spend more in the long run and create more hassle usually.

Shucks

Reaction score
I understand what you're saying but being able to choose the correct part and knowing how to install it is different to me. I know my way around a motor, I've got a few engine swap experience but every time it was a brand new motor, just swapping accessories, intake, brackets, ect.. This time since its not a brand new one, I wanted to add some extras. In example, I can install a cam, I just don't know how to choose a cam that I wouldn't need to change the springs/rockers but still have a noticeable difference. But I wouldnt mind swapping springs and rockers if I knew which ones to get.
I just want some recommended parts that somebody has done to theirs that can tell me some ideas.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
gotcha gotcha. i dont have expeiernece with the vortecs, i know that recently i picked up a 5.7 vortec with a comp rv cam in it, and the rest of it was stock minus flat tops and headers. flat tops i would not recommend, a nice subtle cam for some improved lower end torque a tune and some breathing mods would be well worth it from what ive seen for daily drivers. id also look into sprucing up your trans with a vette servo, or what not if its an automatic. talk to dana at probuilt automatics about that and he can steer you in the right direction. that alone will give you a much better response in your drivetrain with snappier shifts, and longer shift points etc etc.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a thought but how many miles on this motor you are getting?? If it has a bunch since it is out I would do a full rebuild. All new bearing, new rings, new oil pump, rebuild the heads including a valve job and have them polished (intake and exhaust sides). Port match the intake side and the exhaust side. Inspect the rods and pistons, especially the piston pins (connect the rods to the pistons) for any signs of abnormal wear and or odd looseness. Replace the rear main seal if it even looks like it's trying to leak. Fresh Fel-pro gaskets all around.

After and only after all that then I would think about aftermarket performance add-ons. But that's just me. A rebuild comes natural to me on any new to me motor.

Sent from what use to be a great country.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you do a cam remember lifters. If you do that keep in mind the stock pushrods and rockers. They do have there limits. Pushrods more so then the rockers. Pushrods must be the right length between the lifter and the rocker to work properly.

Intakes have a lot of usable rpm range differences between models of intakes.

Same goes for cams for that matter.

Even if you do all the above it still will not give it all it can. You would have given it the ability to inhale but not exhale. Exhaust plays a major role in performance as well. If it can not breath why inhale right.

So as to put things together and you kinda wanna do it all at once..... Start your gathering before you start to put it in. Then do it all at once. Might take a bit longer then you want but a plan is easier to follow then a spur of the moment style build...

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess what we need to know from you is what do you want your truck to do realistically??? What are your end goals? What are you going to use it for? Weekend toy, daily driver, hauler, street and strip, off-road, etc. those ?'s all play a role in any suggestions to...

Shucks

Reaction score
The motor I'm looking at has 80,000 miles. Not bad, but it defiantly wouldnt hurt to go through it all, though I feel like if I do I would be better off buying a $1500 crate motor. I know where I can get one. The motor I'm looking at is $800 with the accessories, harness, and computer.

But I do want to just get the motor and do a "quick" few things and put it in, from the cam up is all Im looking to do, thats why I'm not looking to rebuild. I understand what you're saying, All I really want to do a cam swap, just choosing one, again, is the trouble I get into. Also exhaust/intake.. ect...

Thanks for your input, if you have anymore information on some specific parts, I'd love to know!

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
With 80,000 miles, I wouldn't worry about bearings and rings. I'd replace the cam since it is so easy to do with the engine out. Opinions on cams are like belly buttons, everybody has one. The cam used in the HT383 or Ramjet 350 crate engine seems very interesting to me. Cam, long tube headers, and a custom tune would be where I would look. At least do the cam while the engine is out.

Shucks

Reaction score
Okay, yeah that's more on the page of what I'm wanting to do. Ill do some research on some cams later on.

Magimerlin the truck would be a weekend truck / almost driven daily.