Passenger front wheel is hot after driving for a while

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have been hearing this kind of rhythmic noise coming from the passenger side. I thought it was coming from the rear drums because it doesn't really sound like a normal rotor brake noise. It only happens when braking lightly or moderately. I started checking the front and found that after driving around the passenger front wheel gets hot compared to the driver side. I jacked up both sides to see if the brake was dragging or something and both front wheels seem to spin freely and I don't hear that noise. The truck does pull to the right a bit but it's always the same amount whether I brake or just drive. I also checked the ball joints and wheel bearings by shaking the tire vertically and horizontally but everything seemed fine.

Any ideas on what it could be?

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking but when it spun like the driver side I thought that it was OK. Could the weight of the truck make the caliper stick but otherwise spin like the drivers side?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take your wheel off and look at your brake pads. Outer one could look ok but if the caliper is sticking the inner one could be down to metal. And that will create alot of heat and pull hard...

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Mine done the same thing and my caliper pins were sticking. Pulled them out and cleaned with Emory cloth. Done a brake job and re installed with a healthy amount of caliper lube. Really though, the hardware is cheap enough to replace anyway.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great points! I will pull the wheel and check more. I'm not really familiar with brake plumbing so this might be a stupid question. When I jacked it up and spun the wheels they felt the same but that is without the brake system pressurized right? I guess what I am asking is would the truck being started have any affect on the brakes?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
No, you may want to jack it up, press and release the brake, then try to spin the wheel. It would rule out the rubber hose collapsed internally. Sometimes if you let them sit a while they will slowly release. They should release completely when you release the pedal. +1 on slides needing greased if nothing turns up here.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks for the help. It was sitting for a few hours at least before I jacked it up so could be

TXDIRT67

Reaction score
I had the same problem awhile back. I replaced everything, and still no luck. It turned out to be the brake hose had collapsed internally like 98_k1500 had previously mentioned. Even though it looked fine and did not have leaks, it was the culprit. replaced the hose and all was good.