Parking brake cable installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my parking brake handle broke off when i pulled it too hard i guess. Common problem on these trucks im guessing since its just plastic. The handle is fine, but a fin broke off the end of the cable so i had to buy a new one of these:

You must be registered for see images attach

So how do i replace? it looks like a pita to access do i have to pull the whole dash cover?

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
To replace that part you just twist the ********* piece to release it from the dash panel. Then the rest is just unsnap the cable from the pedal bracket and undo the cable end and replace. It all can be done under the dash without removing any panels. But if you want for more ease of access you can unbolt the panel under the steering column but you don't have to.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you just twist it hard? I was afraid i was gunna break it.

mjleg

Ya...I Like Trucks
Reaction score
Great info, I have the same issue with my truck and was always curious about this. Let me know how it goes when you get it replaced.

Thanks

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
Yes, just twist it hard. I thought the same thing when I removed mine. I just threw away that whole unit with cable a few weeks ago.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just replaced mine, super easy. Literally took me 60 seconds. Everything pops out smooth dont be afraid.

Now it feels brand new like it did when it came from the factory, real tight.