Overhead Console Install WO/DIC...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94Z71er

Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately i guess i don't know how to read that diagram. But i dont know where the wires on the harness hook up to in the car.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
If your truck didn't come with any kind of console there isn't going to be a pigtail to hook the console to. You'll have to grab power from the existing map light you have. That way the lights will work with the key off or on. You'll want to put the DIC on a switched power source (only hot when the key is turned). There are multiple places to get it under your dash.

94Z71er

Reaction score
Hi Jolly,
Well i grabed the pigtail/harness from the donor car. Here is the DIC connector:
You must be registered for see images attach

And this for the two sets of map lights and the one dome light:

I got the dome light to work off of the old dome lights. But i did not get the map lights to turn on and i don't know where to connect the DIC wires to. I have the regular DIC with only the Thermometer and heading. Just need to know where i hook these wires up to.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
So you have the harness attached to the console as well as the harness going to the console?

94Z71er

Reaction score
I have one complete harness. The one that plugs into the DIC, dome lights and map lights. The other end of that harness goes to another harness that hid away behind the dash of the donor car. That second harness i do not have. So right now i am just trying to figure where the wires go that are coming out of the pigtails in the above post. What do i connect them to.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Compass/ Temp gauge

1) dark Green 5- RAP [x] fuse Supply Voltage
2) black/White 6- Ground
3) Dk Green/White 7- VSS Signal
4) Lt Green/Black 8- Ambient Air temp Sensor
5) gray 9- Instrument Panel Lamp Fuse Supply Voltage
6) purple/white 10- LED Dimming Signal

Follow this and you should be able to hook it up:

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?8784-How-to-Install-DIC-in-gmt400-overhead-console

The wires for your lights are just like Great White posted. Orange should be 12v constant power and black is ground. Orange is hot all the time and black is ground. The white wire should be from the door pin switches, ie all the console lights will come on when you open the door. Try connecting the white and orange to the original dome light wires, and connect the black to ground. Both dome and map lights will come on with the door, but only the individual map lights come on when the map light button is pressed.

If that doesn't work you may have to install diodes. Reverse the power feed to the map lights so they are constantly fed 12v, and the switches connect the ground. Connect a pair of diodes between the lamps and switches and connect that to the dome light's switched ground. The diodes will keep the map light switches from backfeeding and activating the dome lights or the opposite map light.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
You're not going to be able to just "plug it in" if thats what you're asking.

You have to adapt it to your vehicle...

Last edited:

94Z71er

Reaction score
No I know that I need it to adapt to my car. That's why I started this thread so that I can better understand where the wires hook up to in my car when I'm connecting the harness.

1) dark Green 5- RAP [x] fuse Supply Voltage
2) black/White 6- Ground
3) Dk Green/White 7- VSS Signal
4) Lt Green/Black 8- Ambient Air temp Sensor
5) gray 9- Instrument Panel Lamp Fuse Supply Voltage
6) purple/white 10- LED Dimming Signal

^^^So maybe I'm not understanding. When I see this am I seeing the Dark Green wire on the harness goes to RAP Fuse Supply Voltage? If so where would I locate the Fuse Supply Voltage? I guess I'm not undemanding where the wires are that I'm tapping my harness into.

94Z71er

Reaction score
Ok so everything is hooked up and working properly. Except two things. I dont know where to connect the VSS wire to in this connector:

And the other thing is on my regular DIC it displays OC where the temperature is suppose to be. Whats going on? Thanks!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oc means open circuit. You have a bad connection somewhere in the temp circuit or possibly a bad sensor.

Last edited: