overdrive alternator pulley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluedxj

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was searching around for a combo pulley and noticed they make an overdrive pulley for the alternator. its supposed to increase charging at idle. are these really effective? anyone use one?

Shane_o_mac

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have one on my 94, if you got a decent stereo, or lights, and a winch they do a good job without having to get a bigger alternator.

Last edited:

bluedxj

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you need a puller to remove the pulley from the alternator?

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a impact on mine

Sent from my iphone while im sitting on the toilet

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
How does this affect the output at higher rpms, and do you have part numbers or different belt lengths needed for the swap?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
all they do is get the alternator to it's rated shaft rpm sooner.

Translation: makes more amps at lower engine RPM.

Lack of power at idle. It has been an ongoing issue for government vehicles, transit buses and commercial vehicles whose belt-driven alternators fail to produce the maximum power guideline for electric power during idling.

The problem: At idle, the alternator speed falls below its rated speed (the speed at which the alternator’s maximum output occurs). Sizing the pulley ratio to spin the alternator faster at idle will hurt fuel consumption by over-speeding the alternator for most driving conditions and may even cause the alternator to over-speed and fail when engine speeds are higher.

source: http://www.fallbrooktech.com/accessory-drives/alternator

I've never seen an alternator overspeed failure before, but I assume the major problem would be excessive heat buildup leading to premature winding, electronic and bearing failure.

Last edited:

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
The heat was my number one concern, as it would kill the alt. My truck idles a little lower than a stock truck, figuring it may be from the cam. I was wondering if this would help me. And I can have alts rebuilt cheap, so wearing faster than normal isn't a huge concern, but monthly or bi monthly catastrophic failure would be a concern :deal: