Options for upgrading this 91's front end?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey fellas, i've finally finished the head gasket job on my 91 and now that it's running well I am going to start doing a few things to improve the appearance.

Here is a picture of the way it sits now(minus the 88 front cover haha)
You must be registered for see images attach

Headlights:
Now first things first I actually NEED to upgrade the headlights(at least the housings) because I drove it in the dark for the first time the other night and man the light output is poor due to the old yellow housings. I have already restored them as best I can and it was only a minor improvement. Here is the way I see my upgrade options.

Option 1. New stock replacement: I can't find any delco housings so I would have to settle for something like Various MFR(rock auto: $50 per set). I want a stock look so
Various or ebay housings
Good headlight bulb. Superstars maybe? I don't know anything about good stock replacement bulbs

Option 2. HID Upgrade
HID Kit
Appropriate housings(do they make housings for hids that look stock?)

Anything I am missings here? I just want good output on a budget so is stock replacement the way to go here? I don't need to see 10 miles down the road so I don't NEED hids...but I admit the super white light is appealing.

Grille:
Option 1. Now I have been wanting to do a '94 grille for a while and I sort of assumed that it would be a direct replacement but after searching on here I found it isn't and that you need different sized healight assemblies and parking light housings correct?

Option 2. New '91 grille of a slightly different style. I saw some pictures the other day of Kurt3's stepside and I like the grille he has. Does anyone know the make/price of that? Here is a pic for reference:
again this is property of Kurt3

Also does anyone know where to get a nice looking new OEM Bowtie for the front?

Thanks in advance guys. I know I left a lot of questions here haha.

-TwitchZ28

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
look up Depo lights they are good ..check www.nationalautomotive.com for stock replacements. Hids all day long imo 5000k you can use the housings from either style in either grille.I think kutrs is painted?? If you do update just get new fillers and corner lights. Some 94/98 mirrors would also be a nice inexpensive upgrade to go along with your front end

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
look up Depo lights they are good ..check www.nationalautomotive.com for stock replacements. Hids all day long imo 5000k you can use the housings from either style in either grille.I think kutrs is painted?? If you do update just get new fillers and corner lights. Some 94/98 mirrors would also be a nice inexpensive upgrade to go along with your front end

I was thinking the same thing on the mirrors.
I am running depo housings on my camaro. They aren't bad, I didn't know they made obs housings I will look into it. Any recommendations on HID brands, and housings for them? Don't want to blind people with scatter.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
You will also need '94 and up inner bumper brackets if you upgrade to the '94-98 style grilles.

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the swap time consuming at all?

Also are these the ones you are talking about dev? I can't find on here where it says that's the price for one or both but if it's for both I might do that.

I just realized that the picture makes the front end look alot better than it is, the grill has a hole in part of it and the black part is faded and kinda red in spots.

Another question is with my stock housings being pretty yellowed if I slapped a set of HID's in them would the yellowing prevent some of the glare? I looked at the depo lights and they don't have glare caps so I don't really want to run HID's in those...just a thought

Last edited:

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just ordered a set of hid's from DDM tuning. 4500k. I am going to run them in my factory housings for now until I find a proper replacement. I don't really want to shell out for the tyc elegante ones but they're the only ones I know of that have glare caps...

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ordered a mean green 4hi relay. still up in the air on headlight assemblies and grille options...

Last edited:

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly, the '88-'93 grilles are rare birds these days and I would stick with it myself. Some new lights, maybe color match it, maybe black out the egg crate, maybe a billet insert...There are plenty of options.

This one belongs to a friend of mine and he stuck with the early grille: