?? on 98 vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
on my 98 vortec sometimes when i first start it up and take off i can get on it and the rpms are high but its like it being held back and then after a few seconds it will open up like it should from the get go. its done this for a while just never really worried about it but would like to maybe figure out what it is to maybe fix it.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
It's the way your transmission is programmed to manage the torque and pick up speed.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
It's programmed into the computer, a custom tune from a place like Black Bear Performance will be able to remove some or all of it for you as well as lots of other things...I have heard nothing but great things about them and a tune from them is going to be the very next thing I do to my truck

98chevy4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Horns im not really sure what your askin. But r u sayin there isnt much i can do since its programmed into the computer?

98chevy4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But why does it only do it when i first start it cause after it does it one time after startin it it wont do it again unless i turn it off and then later start it up it may do it again

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
In that case its probably not the torque management...mine seems like it may be doing something similar. I never get on it right after starting up, but it seems like whenever I first pull out of the driveway it's being held back a bit but then I can feel a wave power come on a fraction of a second later. I think mine may be the fuel pump because occasionally it has to crank for a couple seconds to start or I have to turn the key on for a few seconds before trying to start it