Oil pump leave alone or replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If my oil pan gasket is bad and needs replacement would you do the oil pump too? Since your right there anyways, trucks got 255k miles on it and runs great no issues and want to keep it that way, who knows if the pump is original or not

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
If my oil pan gasket is bad and needs replacement would you do the oil pump too? Since your right there anyways, trucks got 255k miles on it and runs great no issues and want to keep it that way, who knows if the pump is original or not

you could replace it while youre in there if you wanted to. if you have good oil pressure i wouldnt worry so much about it

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I wouldn put a cheap one in it if i did it. Personally i probably wouldn touch it, but it couldn hurt.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
No more than an oil pump costs, it'd be a no brainer for me while I was right there. Your old one may go another 100k miles, but I always do the "while I'm at its".

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
I replaced mine while I was in there. I take advantage when I do many to take care of whatever I can while my rig is down.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

reno124

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get one mine went with zero warning at 298k if you take time to pull pan I would

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With a high volume one, wouldn't I need a bigger oil pan? Cause they make stock replacement pumps and the high volume ones

Cadon69

GMT400 "Like a Rock"
Reaction score
I read that on the TBI engines you would want to go with a melling high pressure standard volume. Otherwise you will starve the pan and flood the crank case.

Here is the exact quote:
"Unless you prep the block properly you will end up sending too much oil to the hydraulic lifters and pump them up too much causing vacuum issues and poor performance. I use a std volume, high pressure pump http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MEL-M55A/ and its better than stock TBI oil pump"

Also I think that pump can be had from amazon for less and with prime free 2 day shipping.