Oil Pressure Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J_lope82

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1. 5-volts supply
2. ground
3. signal to pcm

Pcm then moves the needle. Not exactly the most accurate reading out there, but good enough, because basically if you have some oil pressure, it won't explode. But it accounts for why everyone is different by 5-10 psi.
I know exactly how the system works. You mention previously that it is uses a 3 position switch I think what you meant was a 3 pin sensor.

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 90 Sierra 5.7l with 157k miles shows 22-25 at idle while the engine is warmed up. When cold it idles at 42-45. At throttle it shows 42-45 when engine is cold or warmed up. I wouldn't worry about the 20-25 at idle unless it drops lower than that.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck just turned 225k, oil pressure when warm is 45-50 driving highway, 30-35 at idle.

Sent from my iPhone

TR185

Reaction score
It's really an across the board question. I've got so many different answers because this isn't the only place I've posted it. I've done Google searches and all kinds of stuff. It appears that if you are anywhere between 20-40 at a hot idle and 40-60 at hot WOT, you are doing good. Chevrolet gauges are so jumpy and sporadic, it's hard to know what to believe until you hook a manual gauge up to them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would think the previous owner(s) kept up on the maintenance.

I bought the truck with 113k, and I'm the 3rd owner. I knew the guy I bought it from and he was just like me with his vehicles, took very good care of them.

Sent from my iPhone

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
What does everyone's trucks usually run at a hot idle and hot WOT? 2000 5.7 is what I have, curious to hear what everyone else says.

An oil pump is a positive displacement pump. If you have clogged galleries, you could show an artificially high pressure, with resultant low flow to critical parts.

Thick oil can show more PSI on a gauge, but that doesn't mean you have the same amount of flow. The oil pump could physically pump grease, but this doesn't mean it will flow through the galleries, lubricate the bearings and splash on the cam lobes.

That being said, I haven't paid attention to the hot idle pressure of mine, but I can tell you at operating temperature driving down the highway I have an indicated ~ 345kpa, or around 50 PSIG, however I have not verified with an accurate mechanical gauge.

I run 0w30 Mobil 1 synthetic and a Wix filter. ( Napa Gold )

TR185

Reaction score
An oil pump is a positive displacement pump. If you have clogged galleries, you could show an artificially high pressure, with resultant low flow to critical parts.

Thick oil can show more PSI on a gauge, but that doesn't mean you have the same amount of flow. The oil pump could physically pump grease, but this doesn't mean it will flow through the galleries, lubricate the bearings and splash on the cam lobes.

That being said, I haven't paid attention to the hot idle pressure of mine, but I can tell you at operating temperature driving down the highway I have an indicated ~ 345kpa, or around 50 PSIG, however I have not verified with an accurate mechanical gauge.

I run 0w30 Mobil 1 synthetic and a Wix filter. ( Napa Gold )
I think it's fine. Doesn't seem to have any odd noises or anything.