Oil Pressure Drop as engine warms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

westsoundred

Reaction score
I think (but not sure) the 92 still has the oil pressure sensor on the block near the oil filter. Look there 1st.
I just looked at mine, I dont see anything by the oil filer. I cant see behind the distributor w/o climbing into the engine bay and I cant do that right now, but I think it is behind the distributor.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Im not a Scotty Kilmer fan. As for the PT Cruiser. I had one. My wife loved it, but I hated it. I was still working 14 off and 14 on, offshore back then. Every time I came home for my 14 days off, I had to work on the car. There was always something going wrong with it. In 2012 when I had throat cancer, a car pulled out infront of us and my wife hit him. Totaled out the PT Cruiser. Best thing ever happened to it. No one was hurt, and I got the full value out of it. We bought a 2004 Toyota 4 Runner for Her. Grate vehicle.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my old Dodge van . The pressure would drop and blink the oil light when I stopped at a light. It was OK at speed but did fluctuate some.I finally got around to checking the coolant and it turned out to be low. Not out, just low. After I topped off the coolant the oil pressure did much better and it has behaved well since. It taught me the lesson of checking the coolant more frequently.

Might be worth a look at your cooling system and make sure it isn't heating up too much.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my old Dodge van . The pressure would drop and blink the oil light when I stopped at a light. It was OK at speed but did fluctuate some.I finally got around to checking the coolant and it turned out to be low. Not out, just low. After I topped off the coolant the oil pressure did much better and it has behaved well since. It taught me the lesson of checking the coolant more frequently.

Might be worth a look at your cooling system and make sure it isn't heating up too much.
Oil pressure dropped because of low coolant? Please explain...

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oil pressure dropped because of low coolant? Please explain...
The engine and the oil was simply too hot and therefore too thin. It is an old truck. As soon as I topped off the coolant the issue disappeared. It was one of those "go figure" moments. At the next oil change I bumped the oil up a grade as well. It was not overheating but the oil light quit blinking after I topped it up.

That is the best explanation I can come up with . YMMV

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The engine and the oil was simply too hot and therefore too thin. It is an old truck. As soon as I topped off the coolant the issue disappeared. It was one of those "go figure" moments. At the next oil change I bumped the oil up a grade as well. It was not overheating but the oil light quit blinking after I topped it up.

That is the best explanation I can come up with . YMMV
I believe you, but I'm thinking the two aren't related.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
I believe you, but I'm thinking the two aren't related.

Im with you it can't be related BUT. I mean in theory if the entire block gets hot enough that would transfer that heat into the oil Thinning it out enough . Crazier **** has happended. I have the same issue with my 2 door. My coolant is great for the record

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im with you it can't be related BUT. I mean in theory if the entire block gets hot enough that would transfer that heat into the oil Thinning it out enough . Crazier **** has happended. I have the same issue with my 2 door. My coolant is great for the record
Agreed, theoretically that could happen. But I'd imagine the coolant would have to be empty not just needing topped off.