Oil Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stefan Wutte

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I have an old 89 K2500 5.7L 350 4x4. Drove it recently from OR to NE (~1,700) miles and went through about 1.5 quarts of oil. She's an old farm truck that I rebuilt and so she still leaks and burns a bit of oil. I plan on rebuilding the engine this summer but at the moment I am at school and can only "maintain" the truck until I get back to my shop. It's time for me to do another oil change, but I have noticed I have developed a bit of an oil leak.

The oil appears to start somewhere above the oil filter (driver side valve cover?)and then leaks down and covers the bottom of the oil pan, and gets onto a little of the transmission housing/front drive line and drips onto the exhaust. It puddles up on the ground underneath the front drive line as well.

So far I have replaced my PCV valve, and I'm going to put on a new oil filter when I change the oil. I've checked the oil sender on the back of the engine but it doesn't appear to be leaking from there. Where else should I check for it to be leaking from, and are there any gaskets/seals that are somewhat easily replaceable when I do the oil change that might help stop and leaking/future leaking?

Dan_Frisbie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Losing around a quart every 1000 miles, why do an oil change? You're replacing it as fast as a normal oil change. Throw a new filter on it and find the leak first.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Losing around a quart every 1000 miles, why do an oil change? You're replacing it as fast as a normal oil change. Throw a new filter on it and find the leak first.

By just adding oil you are not getting the dirt and junk out of the engine. But if sure you are going to go through the motor in the summer not a big issue. But if running a motor with a leak just adding instead of changing can create issues.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check your oil filter adapter. They are very prone to leaking. Alot of us, me included, just get rid of the adapter and put the old school adapter on with a delco p/n454 oil filter. Still has plenty of room for the drive shaft. Spray it all down with some degreaser and or brakeclean and start it up... let it run or take it for a quick drive then recheck it.. oil leaks are not that hard to find, but you gotta clean the whole area first so you can trace it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Stefan Wutte

Reaction score
Check your oil filter adapter. They are very prone to leaking. Alot of us, me included, just get rid of the adapter and put the old school adapter on with a delco p/n454 oil filter. Still has plenty of room for the drive shaft. Spray it all down with some degreaser and or brakeclean and start it up... let it run or take it for a quick drive then recheck it.. oil leaks are not that hard to find, but you gotta clean the whole area first so you can trace it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

What do you mean with the old school adapter?
Something like this?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/find/chevrolet-k2500-oil-filter-adapter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
98 Money Pit