Oil Leak! Rear main seal replacement?? PLEASE HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brady287

Reaction score
I just purchased a 1997 Chevy Z71 5.7. I went ahead and bought it even though it had an oil leak. I am confident it is nothing more than the rear main seal. I have done a rear main on a jeep cherokee 4.0 but not sure how it compares to this truck. Can any of you give me some tips on replacing the rear main, time, difficulty, tricks, ect. and can you list some other things i should go ahead and service wile the trans is pulled back. I think i should go ahead and do the oil pan gasket to, what all do i need to do to get that out?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Need to slide trans back.... done 5 of them in the last couple months... pretty easy to do. Disconnect all the external stuff, unbolt torque converter and push back toward trans, unbolted trans and slide back, unbolt flywheel. Rear main plate is right there.... there's a few other steps in there but that's the quick and nasty explanation.....

Last edited:

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Here's the right pic...lol. to many rear main seals lately...lol

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I get it about 6" away usually.... plenty of work room and the wires and such are about at thier max at that point if you don't disconnect them all. But...I also have the advantage of a lift and a trans jack to hold the trans with while I'm under there.

Brady287

Reaction score
Need to slide trans back.... done 5 of them in the last couple months... pretty easy to do. Disconnect all the external stuff, unbolt torque converter and push back toward trans, unbolted trans and slide back, unbolt flywheel. Rear main plate is right there.... there's a few other steps in there but that's the quick and nasty explanation.....

What about the transfer case? Do i need to get out of the way?

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I did mine I bought the Seal at the Dealership since it lasted so long also did front seal on Trans.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What about the transfer case? Do i need to get out of the way?
Nahhh...just remove the front and rear driveshaft and slide the whole thing back.. you can if you want as its only 8 bolts and a few electrical connectors and a lunkage but not necessary. The linkage does have to be disconnected anyways though....but like I mentioned I have the advantage of a lift and transmission jacks to hold everything up and can stand up under the truck to work on it.

Brady287

Reaction score
Nahhh...just remove the front and rear driveshaft and slide the whole thing back.. you can if you want as its only 8 bolts and a few electrical connectors and a lunkage but not necessary. The linkage does have to be disconnected anyways though....but like I mentioned I have the advantage of a lift and transmission jacks to hold everything up and can stand up under the truck to work on it.

I am think i am going to invest in a trans jack, I'm sure it will make this job a lot easier. Do i need to drain both sets of fluid or just the oil? Any other seals or gaskets i should change wile it's all apart?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I wouldn drain anything unless you were just changing the oil anyways... Not gonna lose a spoon full.