Odd starting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is the oddest starting problem I have ever had. I go to turn my truck on and it clicks stutters and just quits, we jump the truck and drive it to the O'Reilly's to have the battery tested, its a good battery they say, after trying to jump the truck for 15-20 minutes they check the alternator, its all good they say, they check the starter, its al good they say. So then we drive it to my mechanics and shut it off, then we go to turn it back on and it ticks and ticks then misses and comes to life. Runs fine once its on. Do you guys have any ideas? Maybe timing? Maybe the testers wrong? Thanks

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is the oddest starting problem I have ever had. I go to turn my truck on and it clicks stutters and just quits, we jump the truck and drive it to the O'Reilly's to have the battery tested, its a good battery they say, after trying to jump the truck for 15-20 minutes they check the alternator, its all good they say, they check the starter, its al good they say. So then we drive it to my mechanics and shut it off, then we go to turn it back on and it ticks and ticks then misses and comes to life. Runs fine once its on. Do you guys have any ideas? Maybe timing? Maybe the testers wrong? Thanks
Could be a sticking bendix on the starter. My friend had a similar problem on her crap-o-lier, parts tore said the starter was good, mechanic said the starter was good. She lives next door and I just so happened to be walking to my truck when I heard it happen, I told her right then and there to get a starter and I'd put it on for her. Her boyfriend argued with me because the starter was tested, I told him that if it doesn't fix it, I'll pay for the starter. Put the new one on and the issue was solved.

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the battery cables. Make sure they are attached to the battery securely. I always have a problem with my negative cable screwing into the battery properly. I hate side post batteries. Also check and see if the cables are corroded. Not just the ends but check a bit under the rubber on the cable itself. My truck had the same symptoms a few years ago until I replaced the battery cables.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
+1 on the cables and while you are at it check the frame ground and the connection at the starter. One way to do it is use a jumper cable from battery negative to a good ground and if that doesn't fix it jump battery positive to a really well wire brushed starter post.

That test should eliminate a bad cable and/or a corroded ground as the cause, bet that's it.

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Turns out 3 wires were completely fried, it was the wires from the fuse box to the alternator and the starter. My timing was also out corrected. It was 20* out of whack. Thanks for all the help!

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Turns out 3 wires were completely fried, it was the wires from the fuse box to the alternator and the starter. My timing was also out corrected. It was 20* out of whack. Thanks for all the help!

Glad you got it going and thanks for reporting the outcome. It is really good to have threads completed with problem solutions. That really helps make this place the resource it is.