Odd Speaker Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright I'll keep this sweet and simple because I'm quite confused at the moment.

I replaced my rear speakers (that didn't work) with a working set of 4x6's, and they work, however I have a problem after installing them.

The Problem that I've encountered is None of my speakers work at all, unless I disconnect the speaker harness for the rear speakers inside the rear driverside cab corner. If I do that then the Fronts come on and work fine and if I reconnect it while the fronts are playing the backs come on and work fine, and usually they work for a few starts after that, then they go dead again. Has anyone had this problem?

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Aftermarket headunit?

I would think there's a short in the wiring or speakers which is sending your headunit into protection mode.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, it's an older Dual Headunit that's being replaced soon.

I'm leaning towards a short in the rear harness I suppose, because If I disconnect it and reconnect it the speakers all work.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Well, now that I think about it, since it worked fine with the defective speakers, it could also be a problem with the rear outputs of the headunits. Once it's under load, it trips the protection mode. This makes some sense to me since it will work for a while if you plug the harness back in. I would think that if there was a dead short in the harness, it should instantly turn off once the harness is plugged back in.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I ended up taking all the trim back out and redoing the connections and soldering them. Seems to have fixed the problem for now.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good to hear it seems to be fixed. Like thunderstruck said though, if the problem comes back my money is on an internal problem in that head unit. Dual isn't exactly synonymous with quality.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good to hear it seems to be fixed. Like thunderstruck said though, if the problem comes back my money is on an internal problem in that head unit. Dual isn't exactly synonymous with quality.

Oh for sure, only using this one because I had it lying around. That's why I was looking for opinions in my other thread though.