OBS to nbs rear disk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can it easily be done? Or should I just do an axle swap with a nbs to get the rear disk? Thanks

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
i can't speak for the 4x4 guys... but the 2wd guys that do this usually buy aftermarket kits. I know this isn't much help. i'd be interested in knowing which route you take though... the NBS rears HAVE to be stronger than the OBS rears.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this is the aftermarket kit i will be using.. http://www.friendlychopshop.com/parts.html

i'm not sure if these will work on the 4x4 rear.. you might contact them and ask. they're a reputable shop in Tennessee.. they might modify a set for ya if need be.

edit.. just remembered you're six lug.. these are 5

The Little Shop kit is awesome you can piece together a kit using all OE parts. 6 lug front rotors from a k1500 calipers off of a 85 olds toranado/caddi Ive seen the caliper brackets on speedway motors and the lines you would be able to find anywhere. And the reason why i know all this is because my truck when i bought it had a first gen SSBC kit on it and over the years Ive had to replace a few things LOL

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
The Little Shop kit is awesome you can piece together a kit using all OE parts. 6 lug front rotors from a k1500 calipers off of a 85 olds toranado/caddi Ive seen the caliper brackets on speedway motors and the lines you would be able to find anywhere. And the reason why i know all this is because my truck when i bought it had a first gen SSBC kit on it and over the years Ive had to replace a few things LOL

i'm gonna invest in the little shop's kit.. in the spring. i have more important things to address right now. As interchangeable as GM stuff is, it shouldn't be too bad of a job to do rear discs on a 4x4 obs.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Affordable 14-Bolt Disc Brake Conversion
If you own an older-style GM Corporate 14-bolt rear axle, you probably have drum brakes—which are less desirable for trail use. However, thanks to the innovators at Right Gear and Axle, any old-school 14-bolt rearend can be easily upgraded to disc brakes using late-model OEM 14-bolt parts found on the rearend of 2002-and-later Chevy trucks. Comprised of two billet steel adapter flanges and mounting hardware, this product offers an affordable and effective way to improve brake performance while also adding a functional e-brake. It’s manufactured right here in the U.S., and as the photo illustrates, the adapter flanges simply bolt to your existing end flanges with no cutting, welding or custom fabrication required. Info: Right Gear and Axle, 831/424-3715, www.rightgear.com

adapter pic:

You must be registered for see images

http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/129-1107-july-2011-parts-rack-new-products/#ixzz1OeVOKTYn

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/newb...593-14b-ff-internal-ebrake-gm-aam-10-5-a.html

That seems to indicate you need an adapter to bolt the newer AAM 10.5/11.5 factory disc brakes to the older GM 10.5 axles.

Also, keep in mind: somewhere around 2011 GM changed the 8 lug pattern so those rotors will not slip on over the older hubs...

Last edited: