NV4500 through the years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
As some of you may know, I'm on the hunt for a NV4500 to replace the 3500 that I cracked the housing on. I have found a 4500 on ebay for a reasonable price...but it's from a 94 GM gas application and it will be going in a 97 K1500 with the 4.3 Vortec(yeah, yeah I know..why you trying to mount this to a 4.3?)

Anyways, the 4500 I found doesn't have a bellhousing. What I'm wondering is, once I get a housing, will the slave mount up to it? I've searched some and haven't really found out how the slave actually mounts to it. Does it mount to the housing or the trans itself? To avoid confusion, I'm talking about mounting my internal slave to the trans.

Other question is, will the housing mount to the engine? I've seen some housings advertise that they mount to an 5.7/6.5/7.4...but just want to make sure.

I've got a local transmission shop that is willing to help me with this...I'm just wanting some advice before I buy this.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 94 would have a external slave that mounts to the bell housing. I don’t think you can change it to an internal without some machine work even if you have a later model bell housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
you can convert to an external slave, all you need is the older master cyl and obviously a slave

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The bellhousings are different I'm pretty sure between the internal/external slave. Finding one of those will be the hard/expensive part.

I think the 4500 would work with the 4.3. NV3500s work with both 4.3s and 350s, and 4500s mount to 350s, so it will probably work. Worst case is just getting an adapter.

Also not sure where in Arkansas you are but here's a cheap 4500 in Tunica MS. If this was closer I would've bought it for a spare but it's 5 hours from me and I don't need it bad enough to drive that far for it. He might have a bellhousing for it, idk

https://northmiss.craigslist.org/pts/d/tunica-differential-94-chev/7284232935.html

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For what its worth I had a 3/8in steel adapter plate made for one the fit between stock 6.2 dsl in a square body and it work great,