NV4500 swap build w/questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyorlo

Reaction score
I’ve searched and have only came up with a few threads successfully swapping to an NV4500.

I have an 89 K2500 with a TH400. I purchased a NV4500 from a 95 K2500 with everything I’ll need to drop it into my truck. I’ve been thinking on how I can make this swap as painless as possible. I may pull the front clip because the fenders need changed anyway so I can drop in the engine and trans together.

My first question,

Will the NV Transfer case bolt up to the TH400s? If so could I unbolt it and leave it in the truck, and bolt the NV one in when I drop it in place?

I bought this truck for $300. It is solid, but looks rough. I bought it to build my house and have became attached. I’d like to make it a winter driver/tow rig so I decided I need OD. I have a L31 I am rebuilding for it. For now I will leave the manifolds and TBI on it, but I have a TPI setup I will eventually convert to with megasquirt and I’ll get some headers eventually.

The only few pics I have.

You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Nicew pick with the 95... you get the external slave with the better (IMO) gear ratios. I picked up a 95 NV4500 this year also I just need time next spring to install it now.

And yea, I hope you got the bellhousing, the external slave ones are getting harder and harder to find.

Tonyorlo

Reaction score
The bell housing from the truck had a crack near the slave cyl, so the guy gave me a good bellhousing for it, and the cracked one. I’ll clean the cracked one and tig it so I’ll have a spare.

The truck it came out of was rusted to nothing, but was Mechanically sound. I got everything from the crank to axle yokes in the driveline. Steering column, clutch and brake pedals, and the clutch hydraulics.

I keep hearing of how hard it is to bleed the hydraulics on the clutch, is that true? I see they sell pre bled systems and honestly it’s not any more expensive to go that route. I also hear the internal slave transmissions are much better, but I don’t like the idea of having a slave cyl I can’t easily change.

I plan to get a later instrument cluster, like a 92-94 with a tach. Will I need a different speedo cable?