NV3500 Stress Test

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5speed Hoopty

Reaction score
Hello all,

I bought a 1990 C1500 not too long back. Title says it originally had a V6 in it. However, the previous owner put a stock (used) 5.7 in it. Maybe pushing 250 Horsepower, or less :) The truck drives well, besides 1st gear being a little shorter than expected.

How well do these 5 speed transmissions hold up to horsepower increase through modifications or perhaps a crate motor? Are there better alternatives or suggested NV3500 upgrades to handle the increased horsepower/ torque?

I am NOT looking to put a 500 HP 383 stroker in it. But something more modestly around 350 HP give or take.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

W

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 91 light K2500 went through two NV3500's, the first one under warranty. When I sold the truck at 285,00k, the third one was making the by now familiar noise, even though I kept meticulous track of the fluid. Each time a new trans went in, it allegedly had an "improved" design.

According to the transmission people I talked to,, the top rail was not adequately lubricated, and that's where fifth gear was located. Long runs on the highway was said to be very hard on that gear. For what ever reason the "road" 5 spds were worse then the 5 spds with compound low gear.

The NV3500 was designed and in the early years manufactured by Getrag, a German subsidiary of Ford of Europe. Later it was manufactured by New Venture and installed in GM and Dodge trucks. But not Fords--it figures...........

The rest of the truck was GREAT! .............

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put about 400 hp through an NV3500 in my Caprice wagon for about 5 years, including some towing. It always made some noise because of the issue that alpinecrick referred to, but it held up okay otherwise.

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the stresses are comparable to adding horsepower, but my 97 heavy half came with a nv3500. When it was lifted with 35s, it never got re-geared so I'm sure that was harder on it than stock. But my motor is completely stock. It started making some loud ass chirping noises when I would down shift and let out on the clutch. Meanwhile I found a nv4500 and had it in the garage ready to go for when the 3500 finally took a ****. It still worked fine at the time I swapped it out minus the chirping downshift noises. I swapped the 4500 in and it's perfect. I threw the 3500 in the dumpster at the local dump.