Nv3500 or other manual transmission swaps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello, I've been reading some of the threads here and on other forums about swapping an nv3500 into a 4wd. Does anyone know whether an nv3500 from a Dodge ram or Dakota would fit?
Alternately, has anyone done an nv3500 swap, or any other manual trans swap?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If i remember correctly the input shafts are completely different in length and spline count. And the bellhousings are not removable so im sure that the dodge pattern is completely different as well. Best bet would be to find one out of a gmt400.

Ive done manual trans swaps but never in a gmt400. One was in a 3rd gen fbody and the other was a 78 f150. The hardest problem i can see is getting the petal assembly's. I was lucky and had somewhat complete vehicles that I took the transmissions out of. The next hardest was getting the holes in the right place for the snifters. On the fbody i was lucky and the carpet was cut out for the the shifter so i just out lined the hole and pulled it back and cut the hole. the f150 i pulled the shifter and jacked it up till it dimpled the floor board and just cut around the dimple. Next is finding where to make the hole for the hydraulics. Again mine was easy on the f150 since back then they made every cab the same and i just had to make a hole in a grommet in the floor for the linkage. The fbody was all mechanical as well so i just found out where the linkage had to go though the firewall and make a slightly bigger hole to hook up to the rest of the linkage.
Ive had 2 gmt400's and one was a auto and my current one is a 5 speed and i don't know the difference in the fire walls. So i don't know how hard it would be to get the hydraulics to bolt up.

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been toying with the concept of an nv3500 swap, more for amusement at this time. Can't find really any gmt400's with a manual though. Just wondered about the Dodge transmission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah when i bought my latest gmt400 i was surprised that i found one with a manual. I didn't really need a manual and didn't really need a gmt400 let alone another truck and a 3/4 ton. My f150 specs are all higher then the gmt400 is. I was looking for a 73-79 f series but couldn't find one. In hindsight I should have passed or paid way less for my gmt400. But that was over a year ago and it gives me a project to work on when i have the time.

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah when i bought my latest gmt400 i was surprised that i found one with a manual. I didn't really need a manual and didn't really need a gmt400 let alone another truck and a 3/4 ton. My f150 specs are all higher then the gmt400 is. I was looking for a 73-79 f series but couldn't find one. In hindsight I should have passed or paid way less for my gmt400. But that was over a year ago and it gives me a project to work on when i have the time.
I know exactly what you mean. I was also looking for a 73-79 Ford, even found one in ND. It had a 460, five speed, super nice, problem was the low gearing. I don't think it would have pushed 60, so I had to leave it behind. Ended up getting a gmt400, probably paid too much, but I like it and I have a project. I just have never liked the slushbox.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the last year since I got my gmt400 ive found 3 and one was even a highboy but now i don't have they money to buy them and don't really have the room or need 3 trucks lol.