NV3500 compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harms51

Reaction score
Hey this is my first post since I joined. I have a 98 GMC 5.7 vortec with a nv3500 in it that has gone bad. From my guess the 4th gear syncro has gone out and the slave cylinder is leaking. I might sell it or I might keep it I'm not quite sure yet but I need a tranny for sure. So my main question is what years and models of trucks that have a 5 speed in them would be the easiest swap to throw in the GMC? I have found a nv3500 out of a 94 Chevy for a good price but I'm not sure how straight forward if a bolt up it will be waiting wise and slave cylinder wise. Thanks for help for anyone who responds.

WeirdTim

Reaction score
Starting in 1996 the slave cylinder was located internally around the input shaft. So you would need a NV3500 from a 96 on up for a bolt in replacement. From what I've seen it's easier to find a 96 on up with a internal slave than a 93-95 version with a external slave.