Not too far from me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3500s should have no are bags 8600lb gvwr 2500s should have no air bags I have no idea why 2500 suburbans have them.

Here's another data point: My '99 C2500 8-lugger with the HD 8600 GVWR was built with no airbags.

Simple is good. Even if I have to own my defensive driving duties a wee bit more while lumbering
around...instead of relying on the billowy kiss from a deploying airbag to keep me out of trouble. :0)

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Why is there no airbag on the passenger's side, was that an option in the pickups in 1998?
My 1998 Suburban has one, there.

Nice looking truck, I would love to see it up-close and drive it.
That's a non airbag wheel. My '97 C3500 has this same setup; the interior is identical to my truck except for the floor shift for the 4wd, and mine doesn't have the factory CD player (yet!).
As noted in other posts, any of the trucks rated at 8600# gvw or higher (my CCLB is rated at 9000#) at this point in time, were not required to have airbags.
That is a badass truck, Rawhide's little brother in 4wd!

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Huh, learn something new every day. I had to go out and look after you said this. Sure enough, just a big horn button that looks like an airbag but no air bag label on it.
Yup the horn button should just say "Chevrolet" and the bowtie, and a bugle for the horn symbol.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you 100% sure on your K3500? Does the horn cover actually have the SRS logo on it?

Richard
Well, I've been daily driving it for 24 years and have 336k on it, so I didn't need to go actually look when I posted earlier. I just went to take a pic of it for you and apparently one of you wisenheimers has switched out my steering wheel.

Not a proud moment... my last remaining memory cell is on the blink... I swear it said AIR BAG right on it, but nope it's a little trumpet... must have been the suburbans wheel I was picturing. aaaarghh. smh :sorrysign:

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Well, I've been daily driving it for 24 years and have 336k on it, so I didn't need to go actually look when I posted earlier. I just went to take a pic of it for you and apparently one of you wisenheimers has switched out my steering wheel.

Not a proud moment... my last remaining memory cell is on the blink... I swear it said AIR BAG right on it, must have been the suburbans wheel I was picturing. aaaarghh. smh :sorrysign:
They do look similar.... we've been daily-ing the crew cab for the last year, but this past Saturday I had to put the Burb back into service. Hopefully just for this week, as the heat is pretty much non functional and we're getting ready to get close to freezing for morning lows(when I go to work, ugh).

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Not a proud moment... my last remaining memory cell is on the blink... I swear it said AIR BAG right on it, but nope it's a little trumpet... must have been the suburbans wheel I was picturing. aaaarghh. smh :sorrysign:
It's OK. I probably made the same mistake a dozen years ago when I hadn't looked closely at enough of them. To compound it, my '98 crew cab had a whole airbag column swapped in, so it did in fact have an airbag wheel (non-operational) and all the associated yellow wiring on the column. Most likely a quick replacement after a previous theft attempt/event.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
It's OK. I probably made the same mistake a dozen years ago when I hadn't looked closely at enough of them. To compound it, my '98 crew cab had a whole airbag column swapped in, so it did in fact have an airbag wheel (non-operational) and all the associated yellow wiring on the column. Most likely a quick replacement after a previous theft attempt/event.

Richard
And they're basically the same shape, and some say Chevrolet or GMC, and some Chevys just have the big bowtie.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You must’ve had the Placebo Bag option. They just make you “feel” safer.