Noise in rear when i hit a small bump and a rear end problem?? HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

forty6and2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys thought ide try and get this problem figured out.. maybe someone can help. ill try and be as descriptive as possible.

first off 98 silverado 4x4
as i drive down the street and hit a little divit or small gap or say going up a drive way curb there is a small bang in the rear.....let me wander a bit, ive had this noise a while so one day i took it to my buddies shop and hoisted it ,, found that the upper rubber bushing in one shock was gone,, led me to believe that when my suspension hits a bump this no rubber bushing would bang on the shock mount, simple fix.. put new shocks in the back.. drove home.. WTF still there.... so the jist of it is imagine what a rubber mount missing would sound like when you hit a bump.. THATS what it sounds like... or a broken leaf spring sound but ive had that on a yukon it and banged but also rattled down the street, i dont have that... just the bang and i CANT for the life of me figure it out.

ive checked the leafs and all the brackets that hold them together , the shocks are new, the u bolts are tight as far as i can see the leaf spring bushings are still there.

im picky with rattle and lame noises so this is annoying the hell out of me!!!

anyone come across this noise before?????? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!! :beatdeadhorse5:

the other problem is and not all the time.. but just pulling away casually from a light or stop sign when the trans shifs from 1st to 2nd there is a slight almost clunk into 2nd gear, could it be the trans or the rear end?

im hoping someone has come across these issues before .. somone has to have theres like how many Chev/gm trucks out there?!?!?!?!

thanks guys for any help you can do for me.

ohio4whlr

Reaction score
I have a similar issue, when i take off from a light or hit a bump with one tire i get a clunk. I found that the gov lock clutches wore down and allowed more back lash in side gears. If you don't have a gov lock you may have to keep looking

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
Grab ahold of the bed (above the tire) and shake the piss out of it. Mine'll pop all day if you do that.
That's as far as I've gotten though.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have had a couple of truck's have popping noises in the rear, on one of them the spare tire and small bolt in crossmember were loose, and on the second the actual shock bracket that was riveted to the frame had worked it's rivet's loose and wholt shock bracket would move when you went over even a small bump in the road, I removed the rivet's and replaced them with grade 8 bolt's and locknut's. These may not be what you are experiencing but that is what I have personally had happen.

forty6and2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well hopefully i can figure it out this weekend, ill be putting in my rough country 6 inch lift!! woohoo... so we'll see what i find.

forty6and2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spring clap ?! i think this is what i might be dealing with here, anyone else?

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Poor box body mounts maybe, or if you put blocks in the rear or even removed the U bolts at any point, the U bolts could be loose, I did a block lift last winter, and just last week I had my truck up on the lift at work when I was balancing tires, I put one of the rear tires on, and the rear axle shifted a tad, so I grabbed my impact, got about a quarter inch of clean threads under each nut on the U bolts now.

chevyboy98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
could be a stupid question but do you have your hitch in? mine ratles when i hit bumps.. and i had a sound like u describe turned out to be a broken leaf, 2 possable ideas

forty6and2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
no hitch in. box is tight. i think it was leaf clap or what it was was the brackets that hold the springs together, my lift kit is now installed with the ad a leaf the noise is GONE now!