No start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

unstable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it's not one thing it's another. Finally got the brakes re-plumbed and when the disc brake conversion wouldn't work on my axle I rebuild the drums. I go to start the damn thing and, no buzz, no crank, cab lights work, headlights work.

I finally had time to go out and take a look this morning and I started with the "obvious" things. Checked the ground strap, checked the positive cable, looked through the fuses and nothing stuck out at me. I went to crank it again and nothing. I joggled the shifter and it finally made a "BUZZZZZZZ" for the key being in the ignition (or is it because the door was open?) in any case, I tried cranking again and nothing.

Any obvious things I can check for while I locate my multi-meter?

Thanks guys.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
try moving the shifter to neutral and starting it, also check the wires on the soleniod to make sure they are tight.

unstable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
checked solenoid wires for tighteness, even removed and retightened, tried starting in neutral and no buzz / no sign of life from the starter at all. Any other ideas? :(

lt1bbody

Reaction score
Do you get instument cluster lights to come on when you turn the key to run? Im thinking it may be your ignition switch. Not sure until you check to see if there is ignition power to the small terminal on the starter solenoid while turning the key to start.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

unstable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you get instument cluster lights to come on when you turn the key to run? Im thinking it may be your ignition switch. Not sure until you check to see if there is ignition power to the small terminal on the starter solenoid while turning the key to start.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

no juice to solenoid wire to ground with key in start position. didn't check the instrument cluster. what now cat?

lt1bbody

Reaction score
I'd say it's the ignition switch then. Since you say it doesn't buzz. Possibly the neutral safety switch. You can jump the solenoid to get your rig started temporarily.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

unstable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd say it's the ignition switch then. Since you say it doesn't buzz. Possibly the neutral safety switch. You can jump the solenoid to get your rig started temporarily.

Where is the neutral safety switch located? how to "jump" the solenoid? I vaguely remember something about a screwdriver across terminals from autoshop class but that was a long time ago.

I just checked online and I see the local parts shop has an ignition switch for my rig as well as the neutral safety switch. Is there some directions somewhere on replacing said items? I don't even know where the ignition switch is located to take out the old one. =/

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Yes jumping the solenoid is touching the big terminal and the little terminal with a screwdriver. Please make sure your truck is in park and the e-brake is set before attempting this. As for the neutral safety switch, I'm not positive where it is in these trucks.

lt1bbody

Reaction score
The neutral safety switch is located on the steering column.