No rear brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was bleeding my brakes the other day, and when I started on the rear I never got any fluid.. I'm assuming it's going to be a bad proportioning valve but I've got this Kelsey Hayes abs module.. 98 sierra half ton curious if anyone has any input I feel like I've heard somewhere the top goes bad (electronic part)..

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm actually waiting on stainless lines as we speak, so hopefully that is actually the problem. Thanks

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
You could always crack the line loose at the ABS module and see if any drips out there, if you have pressure there then its probably the hose

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you have a leak in the rear lines? The combination valve may need to be recentered. Is your brake warning light on?

Here's a picture of the abs unit, the combination valve is on the right where the brake lines connect.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

There's a black rubber cap on the end of the valve, remove it and you'll see the pin.

Try holding in the pin on the combination valve while pushing the brake pedal. This may help recenter the valve and allow fluid to enter the rear lines.

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mines flush like that but when you push the brakes it pops out, is that how it's supposed to be?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, it pops out when you hit the brakes. Try holding the pin down while having someone pump the brake pedal.

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good call east, got my girlfriend to come out with me and mash on the brakes while I was holding it, the fluid dropped down about half of the reservoir, then I rebled all the brakes, boom rear brakes.. hard to believe about 3 years ago I had a guy do my pads, and he told me my rears were still brand new looking, and I put the pads on when I bought the truck like 8 years ago.... always would look it up and assume oh these trucks just have spongey feel and weak brakes..