No acceleration and hesitation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Just finished swapping my engine in and i'm having issues. When I start it, it idles odd. Kinda travels around to whatever rpm it wants. When you hold the pedal then stomp it, it bogs then revs up. When I was driving it, when i put my foot in it, nothing changes much.

Specs:

Truck is running a 90 tbi system
Motor is from a 88 camaro (roller cam)
Headers
New icm
Newer cts (one by the radiator filler)
Recent plugs and wires when it was on the old engine
Set timing to 0 degrees
New water pump.

I did do a tbi mod, the injector spacer and shaved the lip off.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sure sounds like ignition timing. Did you follow proper procedure to set timing? Unhook the advance wire? Im assuming that you are running your original dizzy if so are you sure its not a tooth off?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
The hunting idle sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Or the cam you have is higher lift than the computer can compensate for. Be sure there is proper vacuum to the map sensor. The bogging could be caused by the timing being off as well

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Sure sounds like ignition timing. Did you follow proper procedure to set timing? Unhook the advance wire? Im assuming that you are running your original dizzy if so are you sure its not a tooth off?

The hunting idle sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Or the cam you have is higher lift than the computer can compensate for. Be sure there is proper vacuum to the map sensor. The bogging could be caused by the timing being off as well

I unhooked the wire, set to zero and rehooked it up. the dizzy is correct for sure. Im not sure what sensor is what, never really took time to figure them out. I had to go to a junkyard for some vacuum lines so they could be cracked i suppose. is there a way to test those?
I thought i saw somewhere to pull a line off and see if it changes? thanks for your guys input