Next step for more TBI power...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty much all one piece rear main V8 blocks either have a factory roller cam or can be converted to have a factory style roller cam. TBI engines do not like big cams, so you need to be aware of that. I honestly think you need to do alot more research before you go taking your motor apart. It's gonna take a lot more than 20 minutes to take your intake off, it'll take that long getting the old gasket off. You're gonna have to unhook the battery, drain some coolant out, undo all electrical connections from the distributor, throttle body, and intake, take the upper radiator hose off, pull the distributor, undo the fuel lines from the throttle body, possibly take the throttle body off, possibly remove the MAP, and then unbolt the intake. I'm sure I left a step or 2 out, but that's the basics. You're gonna need a basic set of handtools, timing light, and a torque wrench wouldn't hurt.
So here's my advice:
-do alot of research, I can't even begin to tell you how many automotive magazines and books I have. Probably around 1200 magazines and around 100 books I guess. I've had classes at 2 different schools and I've been around vehicles practically all of my life. I know not everyone has a background like mine, so I suggest alot of research
-mild cam
-headers
-custom chip

I would suggest better heads but your budget doesn't allow it.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Why is God's name would you want to ditch EFI for a carb in 2012?

koke

Reaction score
lol carb means no hassal with big cam, unlike the picky tbi's, i hear vortec's are a little more forgiving though

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can only have a cam so big with TBI, so either use nonfeedback efi or a carb. A carb is actually pretty complicated and require alot of knowledge and work to function correctly. So, most just want efi and have someone send them a chip or a computer with a custom tune. EFI in production vehicles arent capable of working with big cams, so a carb is a very good route to go in my opinion if that happens. I like Holley 4150 and 4160, simple and reliable. But for the beginner, a mild cam and keeping TBI is probably the easier route. I drive a Jeep with a Chevy engine with a 4160 on top and love it. I also have a GMC with TBI and love it. Just depends on what direction you build it.

Last edited:

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
lol carb means no hassal with big cam, unlike the picky tbi's, i hear vortec's are a little more forgiving though

What exactly do you need a "big cam" for, other than making a shitton of noise at stoplights in a heavy, slow truck?

As has been said time and time again, for something as heavy as a full size truck mechanical advantage and proper gearing will make more of a difference in "feel" and pep than 100hp more at the crank.

koke

Reaction score
yea that is very true, like stock 265's with 4.11's will scream, but adding a cam with right around .480-.500 lift and a 1800 stall with the gears and then it's mustang murdering time!!

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
yea that is very true, like stock 265's with 4.11's will scream, but adding a cam with right around .480-.500 lift and a 1800 stall with the gears and then it's mustang murdering time!!

Bullshit.

The cam won't make a bit of difference without decent heads, that's just a fact of life. These TBI engines are just plain AWFUL when it comes to cost effective power adders. Also, why anyone would want to keep a stock torque converter is beyond me, especially with an aftermarket cam. Even with the mild Lunati 10101 I ran for years on a nearly stock 5.7L needed at MINIMUM a torque converter that would flash to 2800rpm to be driveable, which doesn't fly with a stock GenI or GenII engine due to RPM limits.

You CAN build something relatively powerful, but it will cost an arm and a leg on those older motors, while you can buy a complete 5.3L or 6L engine WITH wiring harness for less than $800 in most places around the country that will make more power in stock form.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow - I didnt realize this thread was still alive ...... I have decided to go with Vortec Heads, and a cam (undecided on which one right now), just saving up the cash for it now. Going with some new heads, a carb intake, then a carb to tbi adapter. I don't need the EGR since I can disable it in my chip.

Would it hurt to throw a 454 throttle body into the mix with the news heads and cam? I can always adjust the fuel pressure and adjust fuel settings in the chip.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No need for a 454 TB, a 350 TB and injectors will flow plenty and have less tuning headaches.